• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Gochugara Peppers

Cheers!

Anyone have any experience with these chiles? The peppers are called Gochugara, which are one of the peppers in the flatiron pepper flake series called Asian Reds:

Here is their description:

Korean Gochugaru (GO-choo-GAH-roo) has such a dynamic and balanced flavor profile, it smells sweet with a subtle fruitiness but tastes savory with a very mild level of heat, it's most commonly known to spice up Kim chi and other stews within Korean cuisine. Gochugaru is traditionally treated with a small amount of salt as part of the drying process.

(Note: Following Pic is from the Refining Fire Chiles website, excellent site BTW!)

ChilesGochugaru9-2020-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking at Korean peppers for next year - after discovering an obsession with Gochujang :D

I grew the gochugaru from RFC a couple of seasons ago. I can't say that I found them anything special, but that's probably just me...

I grow Hong-Gochu every few years. I dry it and grind it into a powder, then use it to make traditional Kimchi. Great pepper for this purpose. Looks like I haven't grown it since '21. Guess I'll grow it again in '24. Thanks for the reminder, lol.

More info on Gochu can be found at THIS LINK.

I grow Hong-Gochu every few years. I dry it and grind it into a powder, then use it to make traditional Kimchi. Great pepper for this purpose. Looks like I haven't grown it since '21. Guess I'll grow it again in '24. Thanks for the reminder, lol.

🤔
1700003059785.png

Attachments

• 1700003041137.png
    1700003041137.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 38
Learning so much in such a short time lol, thank you all, and I agree Alchemy, those pepper flakes are off the wall good, especially like the dark and smoky.

I'm looking at Korean peppers for next year - after discovering an obsession with Gochujang :D

Tinkerbell! That is interesting about what you say about Gochujang, there was this one Korean ramen I tried which is the Samyang 2x spicy ramen, it used both a wet packet and dry powder, was pretty awesome! Wondering if the wet component was Gochujang?? It wasn't crazy hot but had a really nice flavor.

Awesome article Downriver, learned a lot. Thanks and Cheers!

Thanks a lot for the article Downriver too. I have an obsession with gochujang and think this article does a good job summing it up. It's actually a lot more versatile than you may think and can be used in a lot of "western" cooking too. I use it in burgers or pretty much wherever the typical person might just use ketchup. Wish there was a spicier alternative.

Back