• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Good greenhouse humidity range?

After dealing with some flower drop I decided to investigate some areas. I measured humidity this morning at 80 degrees it was between 30 and 40%. I figured this was much too low so I put a pot of water in front of the heater and now humidity is between 60-70% at 80-85 degrees.

Is this an ideal range?

40% humidity is a little low, but should be just fine as far as pollination goes, you probably want to stay in the 40-60% range. Above 60% you're just asking for mold/fungus. And while it's true that low or high humidity (as well as a nuber of different factors) can cause flower drop, at least in my experience the most likely cause is to much nitrogen.

How old are the plants? The list for flowers dropping is extensive. If they are old enough to flower then they should have had atleast a little fertilizer by now. Sometimes a plant will drop flowers until it's frame is big enough to accomodate fruit. I believe (I probably am wrong) that if a plant is in proper conditions,and getting proper minerals,that it will veg growth,flower,fruit all at the same time.High nitrogen,overwatering, high temps, etc. can make flowers drop but you can rule a few of them out already. You can try using a qtip to pollinate, or get a little fan to blow on them. Post some pics and it will be infinitely easier to get some help.

Will do so tomorrow. It's just the one plant as none of them have flowered yet other than these. They are I believe 2 months old now. I got 1 flower at a time but they dropped off as soon as they opened. one of them dropped before it opened, it's had about 5 so far. I've tried pollinating with a qtip it hasn't worked yet. There are lots of flower buds on them but so far never more than 1 open at a time.

Will do so tomorrow. It's just the one plant as none of them have flowered yet other than these. They are I believe 2 months old now. I got 1 flower at a time but they dropped off as soon as they opened. one of them dropped before it opened, it's had about 5 so far. I've tried pollinating with a qtip it hasn't worked yet. There are lots of flower buds on them but so far never more than 1 open at a time.

Is too much nitrogen a common problem when not fertilizing? I've never used ferts on these plants.

Well, whether you apply fertilizer periodically or there are nutrients already present in your growing medium, there could be a relative abundance of nitrogen that could cause flower drop. But since your plant is only two months old, flower drop is actually quite normal and not something that needs correcting. And you don't need two flowers to pollinate peppers as they are self-pollinating, you just need to disturb the flower a little bit either by shaking the plant gently or in your case, since there are very few flowers, you can use a qtip or your finger as suggested. But until the plant is large enough to properly support peppers, you generally wont get any.

_DSF0392.jpg

_DSF0390.jpg

What kind of soil are you using? If it has time release nutrients in it, then hold back from fertilizing. A lot of those have a 3 month feeding mixed in,the bag will say. Would those happen to be thai ornamentals,or thai minis? If so,those things will grow in the cracks of the sidewalk. They will not need to be fed like a larger species. Are these getting any artificial light or just sunlight?

Both artificial and sun. They are from eBay just listed as "Thai hot pepper".

Yeah it's a miracle grow soil I've been using until next year I'll be setting up my own soil mixtures.

Back