• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

growing bhut jolokia in the middle east ? + what do i need?

hi there,

before i begin i just want to say that this is going to be my first pepper growing in my life,
i know that growing bhut jolokia is challenging but i figured that if i get the hang of it , i will be a pro

so i searched and searched and searched but all i see is a bunch of how to threads for the "cold" climates like the usa or something.
but i live in the middle east which is a "hot" place.

And i don't know how to germinate ... i mean , what do i use to pot the seeds in and what kind of "sand" i use and there is this thing about a 5 gallon bucket or something..

what is it used for and when.

please tell me all i need to know it doesn't have to be simple.

welcom its nice to have you here .... i guess it will be too hot to leave the plants under direct sun ... you guys have some days where it can reach 140F so this will cause some flowers to drop and dont develop into lil pods. but you need to try it your self and for germiniation you can start now and keep the temp around 85F withen 2 weeks your seeds will pup open and you will go to next stage which is light - sun for the lil plants to grow. about the dirt you should visit any plants nursiery around you and they will sell you the right kind . or to any farmers market.
good luck with your growing, and welcom to the pepperworld if you need any help just ask question guys here will answer it and keep us updated to your project.

Hi Hnakhi, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure how many Middle Eatern pepper growers we have on this forum, so you might be setting the standard for growing hot chile peppers there, and definitely so in Kuwait.

I've read that Bhut Jalokia peppers do not like to be grown in too arid(read low humidity) of conditions, so you might have to try and raise the humidity around your plants.

If you were to try either 7 Pod/Pot or Trinidad Scorpion superhot chiles, I've read that they grew better in hot and arid condition like New Mexico, than the Bhut Jolokias did.

And I highly recommend Pepperlover.com as a reputable and reliable seed source. I've placed three orders with them so far and have always been pleased with what I have received.

Good luck with your pepper growing and let us know how it turns out for you.

dvg

One of our members Omri is from Israel. I think that is probably our closest member. Click here for his profile. He hasn't been on since December but on the lower left side is a link to his e-mail.

welcom its nice to have you here .... i guess it will be too hot to leave the plants under direct sun ...

Im also a rookie. I just started a week ago. My seeds are sprouting out of the soil just now. Anyways, you said you dont know how to germinate. The fastest way Ive experienced is putting the seeds in a moist napkin in a plastic bag. Theres a youtube video on this. Click the link if you want to check it out. Click Here <--
Hope this helps.

Keep the seeds inside. Once it pops out of the ground you need the right light. When they start to grow and have between 2-3 leafs, you need to take them outside. I here they have to get use to the light, so little by little, take them outside and give them more and more light until they can just hang out outside all day. Maybe you can put them outside if you have a mesh box that can filter the extreme sun. And like dvg said, you need to keep the humidity high. Once you got them outside, star giving them food. Im still learning on what too feed them so keep me posted if you learn any tips.

israel or palestine is not as hot and dry as kuwait, UAE ,KSA and the rest of the arabic areas.. but best thing is to try
good luck

We grow in sand here, but we just add manures and composts to build up the structure of the soil and give it some body. All of my plants eventually go out in full sun and we have lots of 38C days here. Bhuts grow OK here but the Caribbeans do better. I have all of my chillies scattered around the garden in amongst shrubs and flowers so they get a little bit of shade relief but keeping the soil moist in the heat is important especially in the early stages. I taper off with the watering as the plants mature.
Good luck and G'Day from WA :welcome: :woohoo: :dance:

israel or palestine is not as hot and dry as kuwait, UAE ,KSA and the rest of the arabic areas.. but best thing is to try
good luck
*ISRAEL* is a magical little place. we have a snowy mountain at one end and a flamin' hot desert at the other hand. 40+ sometimes near the 50 degrees... not many places on earth are as hot.

If Kuwait's humidity is anything like the UAE's, Bahrain's or the coastal areas of Saudi (which I believe it should be), then you shouldn't have any problem with humidity - they are all pretty humid and clammy places.

I have found that the hot sun can be a bit of a problem though. I was placing my plants in an area of the garden where they received only morning sun and were in shade in the afternoon, but I was coming home to some pretty wilted looking plants, even though the temps are only in the low 30s at the moment. They'd all perk up after a water, but I had the same problem the next day. I have since repotted them all into bigger pots (3 gallons) that should retain moisture better, so I might try it again with a couple of them and see how they go, but the weather's been unusually overcast here for the past week so I haven't been able to try it yet.

I've since placed them in a shaded area of the garden, where they receive far less direct sun and they seem to be enjoying that more.

I've also tried planting some of them directly in the garden, in the sand that passes for soil here and they clearly were not happy with that move. Repotting them in some bagged soil from the nursery has cured that though.

Regarding germinating, the main problem you will have with germinating outside in soil is that the soil dries up pretty quickly, which is not conducive to successful germination. The two main ingredients to successful germination are heat and moisture, so hot dry soil doesn't really work. I tried to get about 40 cayenne seeds to germinate in a seed tray outside - only 2 germinated. Since then I tried to germinate 23 cayenne seeds using the paper towel in a ziplock bag on top of the fridge method, and so far 20 of them have germinated. I've since tried the same method on some jalapenos, scotch bonnets and habaneros and after 4 days, 2 jalapenos have already germinated. I don't know what effect having the AC on all day will have on this though - it's still not warm enough here for that yet.

Hope that was of some use!

A lesson I learned the hard way in my hot dry climate is that pots dry out quickly in sun and that kills chilli plants! If you are growing in pots, use big ones so the soil can act as insulation, and put a thick layer of mulch on top of the soil, this will also stop it drying out. Shadecloth will help a lot to reduce the direct sun burn if your plants aren't liking it.

Back