• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Happy New Year!

did i ever mention i'm persian?
(let's try and write this out phonetically...) eide shoma moborak!
now i have to go buy a goldfish... happy norooz!

GrumpyBear said:
did i ever mention i'm persian?
(let's try and write this out phonetically...) eide shoma moborak!
now i have to go buy a goldfish... happy norooz!

Persian? Iranian?

The Iranian people are made up of different ethnic groups, and one of them is the Persians.
Take me for example, I'm half Kurd! sure my family came from Iraq, but still part of the Iranian people. ;)
The best food in the world came from that region.

Omri said:
The Iranian people are made up of different ethnic groups, and one of them is the Persians.
Take me for example, I'm half Kurd! sure my family came from Iraq, but still part of the Iranian people. ;)
The best food in the world came from that region.

I thought Iran was part of Persia. In fact, I thought Persia doesn't really exist anymore. Like Siam. Or the polar ice caps. But I'm "American," - they don't learn us very good.

klyth said:
I thought Iran was part of Persia. In fact, I thought Persia doesn't really exist anymore. Like Siam. Or the polar ice caps. But I'm "American," - they don't learn us very good.
The Persian empire was practically everywhere, so yes Iran was part of it.
The thing with Persians is, they live in other places too. so if someone is Persian or part of the Iranian people, it doesn't necessarily mean this person is from Iran. Persians are an ethnic group, not limited to Iran.

Omri said:
The Persian empire was practically everywhere, so yes Iran was part of it.
The thing with Persians is, they live in other places too. so if someone is Persian or part of the Iranian people, it doesn't necessarily mean this person is from Iran. Persians are an ethnic group, not limited to Iran.

Ahh. I didn't realize that. But I'm confused now. Wouldn't being Persian just be the same thing as being Middle Eastern? Where's the separation? Or is there none - Persian just sounds nicer? My crowbar is at the ready.

klyth said:
Ahh. I didn't realize that. But I'm confused now. Wouldn't being Persian just be the same thing as being Middle Eastern? Where's the separation? Or is there none - Persian just sounds nicer? My crowbar is at the ready.
Middle Eastern people are just people from the Middle East, not a certain ethnic group. I'm Middle Eastern, a Lebanese is Middle Eastern, an Egyptian is Middle Eastern and so on... Persians are a very specific ethnic group, just like Russians, Chinese etc.
Chinese are Asians, but Asians are not Chinese, are they? ;)

Omri said:
Middle Eastern people are just people from the Middle East, not a certain ethnic group. I'm Middle Eastern, a Lebanese is Middle Eastern, an Egyptian is Middle Eastern and so on... Persians are a very specific ethnic group, just like Russians, Chinese etc.
Chinese are Asians, but Asians are not Chinese, are they? ;)

Right, right. But China is a country. So is Russia, Lebanon and Egypt. Persia isn't a country, right? So ... Yeah, I'm still like 37 shades of confused.

klyth said:
Right, right. But China is a country. So is Russia, Lebanon and Egypt. Persia isn't a country, right? So ... Yeah, I'm still like 37 shades of confused.
Imagine a weird scenario where China no longer exists. does that make the Chinese people Mongolians, Koreans etc? no, they're still a very distinguished ethnic group. just like Persians and Kurds for that matter.

Omri said:
Happy new year!
Does that mean you have some killer rice recipes?

oh yea, got some sabzi polo on the stove right now (not a very difficult one, but it's new year :) ). would you like me to teach rainbowberry a few?

klyth said:
Persian? Iranian?

i'm canadian silly ;)

klyth said:

iran used to be called persia

klyth said:

Ok, try this. I'm an American, a citizen of the US. I am also a Southerner, which is not a national identity, but a cultural identity. My ethnicity is Northern European, even though I've never set foot there, because that's where my ancestors came from.

More or less confused?

Omri said:
Imagine a weird scenario where China no longer exists. does that make the Chinese people Mongolians, Koreans etc? no, they're still a very distinguished ethnic group. just like Persians and Kurds for that matter.

Ok, I think I get it. This is not something familiar to me, though. And since Persia became other countries, I would just have expected everyone to identify themselves with the current country they live in. For example:

My aunt is Thai. Her ancestors were Thai. But Thailand was called Siam until 1939. Now, I'd expect her to say "I'm Thai and my grandparents are also Thai," because it's the current name of the geographic location. If she said "I'm Siamese," I'd wonder if she was a time traveller. Maybe she is. I'll ask her and let you know.

imaguitargod said:
Yaaaa! No more defective toys, lol :lol:

heheheh :)

Pam said:
Ok, try this. I'm an American, a citizen of the US. I am also a Southerner, which is not a national identity, but a cultural identity. My ethnicity is Northern European, even though I've never set foot there, because that's where my ancestors came from.

More or less confused?

Not more or less, unfortunately. Northern Europe still exists. If you had said you were Norse, that would be comparable to being Persian - I think... And I would have asked why you didn't call yourself "Scandinavian," or "Northern European." Which you did. Good on you, mate!

*looks around* Yeah, still a little confused, but I understand the concept now.

GrumpyBear said:
oh yea, got some sabzi polo on the stove right now (not a very difficult one, but it's new year :) ). would you like me to teach rainbowberry a few?
Nice of you, but I like doing the cooking. ;)
I'm not good with names, but there's this one dish I really like. lamb, herbs and vegetable mash, black Persian lemons (all the way from Iran) and all of that on top of some nice white rice (From Iran too)!

Omri said:
Nice of you, but I like doing the cooking. ;)
I'm not good with names, but there's this one dish I really like. lamb, herbs and vegetable mash, black Persian lemons (all the way from Iran) and all of that on top of some nice white rice (From Iran too)!

yea, that really narrows it down...:confused:
it's a khoresh but which one depends on which herbs and veggies.... my favorite is gormeh sabzi :)

GrumpyBear said:
yea, that really narrows it down...:confused:
it's a khoresh but which one depends on which herbs and veggies.... my favorite is gormeh sabzi :)
I couldn't remember the name, but that's it!
The base of the herbs is (if I'm not mistaken): parsley, cilantro, celery, fenugreek and chard.
Told you I'm no good with names.

Back