• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hardening off question

normally i work 6 days a week 12 hour days so its hard for me to be able to get my plants outside for an hour one day two hours the next ect, as of right now its about mid 50's during the day, and the port is on strike so i dont have work, would i be able to say do 1 hour today, 2 hours tomorrow ect until sunday 4 hours, then if im back working 6 days a week just take them out a few hours every sunday until i plant them outside, will that work for hardening off or is once a week not going to work?

thanks

you can put them outside whenever it's warm. I don't really consider it "hardening off" unless you are like 1 week away from permanently placing them outside. When you put them back inside for 6 days again they will just get used to being inside again.

We do a lot of plants and dont even do a lot of hardening off anymore (impossible). We use to take out for a few hours on day one. On day two a few more hours. Day 3 they were out.

Now because there is no way we could take plants in and out, we simply take them out to the hoop houses and done. I dont know if it is the plastic on the hoop/greenhouses or what but they really dont seem to get bothered. We might occasionally get a few small spots on some leaves that are close to the plastic but 99% of them are fine. If you have the resources, try building a small hoop house out of PVC and just throw them in there and they should be just fine.

i was thinking about building a cheap green house at my sisters where im planting 40 of them but tall enough for them when full sized since our weather dont get the hottest it should be fine

Yup that will work. just make sure to put windows or something in it. even in 60 degree weather in the summer the hoops can get very hot. But put your plants in there and you shouldnt have any hardening off issue. Just put them in.

Point in case...nurseries. Granted their plants are sun bathed from day 1 but they don't "harden off". they just grow them. I think the harmful direct sun rays are somewhat blocked from hoops/greenhouse plastic.

yea I don't harden off either. I just put them outside in a spot that gets a couple hours of direct sun for a few days then put them in the permanent spot

I am on a similar schedule,it is tough. The perfect condition to harden off would be an overcast day. When it is sunny,I take them out later in the evening when the sun is not as strong.

I'm looking at your location and wondering why you are hardening off now? You have close to 2 months to go before plant out?? Just a guess. It is going to be frustrating trying to harden off now. Ultimately you will be juggling plants in and out and will introduce pests to your indoor grow. If you are running out of indoor space,then a hoop house of some kind or greenhouse is your best option.

mmcdermott1 said:
Yup that will work. just make sure to put windows or something in it. even in 60 degree weather in the summer the hoops can get very hot. But put your plants in there and you shouldnt have any hardening off issue. Just put them in.

Point in case...nurseries. Granted their plants are sun bathed from day 1 but they don't "harden off". they just grow them. I think the harmful direct sun rays are somewhat blocked from hoops/greenhouse plastic.
how warm you think a hoop house gets at 60 degree weather?

Back