• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting harvesting seeds Early vs late season

I tried to search for an answer but didn't find one, i was thinking is it better to be saving seeds from mature pods later in the season rather than earlier ones? ANyone notice a difference in germination?

I havent seen much of a difference as long as they are stored and cared for properly. Ive seen on some studies by NMSU that they can have a life of up to 8 years. The seeds are alive, but have a very very low metabolic rate. I have some seeds that Ive had for quite some time that I use to get some thais going every now and again that I got from a buddy working offshore that I had collect seeds and pods for me. They are going on 2 years old and I still get close to 90% of em up.

It shouldn't make much of a difference except there may be more pollinating insects and therefore more chance of cross-pollination in the summer/fall than in the spring/early summer

The seeds that this cross is from, http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/16806-interesting-cross/ , and the two other plants that are growing true all came from seeds that have been stored since 1999.

Back