• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles Has the 7 Pot Ever Been Put on The Scoville Scale...

JayT said:
I tried them all and I personally thought the 7-pot/pod was the hottest followed by the Scorpion, then the Bhut. The Scorpion was very close to the hottest, but it's heat was different. Though the after effects of the Scorpion were MUCH worse than the other two.
I agree with Jay T.
Drinking with a buddy one night
tested a naga which put us in crazy pain. 20 minutes later tested my 7 pot and the burn is just unreal. Grew a scorpion which i got from THSC, which Neil got his strain from Butch Tand is was deadly but not 7 pot deadly

I don't think Paul Bosland wanted to test the others. It was all about self-promotion and his discovery of the fabled Bhut Jolokia and seed sales for CPI

cmpman1974 said:
I don't think Paul Bosland wanted to test the others. It was all about self-promotion and his discovery of the fabled Bhut Jolokia and seed sales for CPI

sounds like typical business practice. As a statistician, I know if you want to find an answer you're looking for, you can find it....and prove it (just watch any political polls on a TVstation/paper and you'll get what the target audience wants to hear).

But if the 7Pod or Scorpion are hotter than Bhut (which sounds like it's clear on this forum), why haven't they taken over the guiness book in 4 years? Is Bosland really that much in control?

Bhuts and Nagas are hot and make you feel pain, but the 7 Pod "brain strain" is just a distinctly higher level. Your whole digestive system is ravaged. I have a lifetime supply of dried 7 Pod's after just one year. Even the smallest amount of powder sprinkled on food can give you problems if you don't allow the heat to absorb into the food for a while before you eat it. That being said, the Bhut has much more flavor and is too hot for 99% of the people that try it. Not 99% of the people on this forum though. LOL

Does anyone know of anyone with an HPLC (Liquid Chromatography machine)? I've tried to get people from the university chemistry department to measure the Nagas I grew last august, but haven't gotten far... If anyone has a friend in a university chemistry department, it might be a way of settling this (or sending some dried pods to The Chile Pepper Institute). :)

Just my $.02 take on this subject of comparing the peppers, I've found my Scorpions(the version some of you call Butch T) have been hotter then my 7pods. My 7Pods were able to be eaten right off the vine by the handfuls, but my Scorpions would cause an instant panic dash for the house to guzzle down for milk or ice cream :) This year of course I've been blessed with the Brain Strain 7 Pod so I look forward to eating a bunch of these off the wine like cherry tomatoes to see how they sit in the tummy :)

I've found the Butch T hotter than other scorpion varieties as well as any 7pot/pods, but although I've grown many versions from many sources I haven't grown Cappy's "Brain strain" so I can't say for sure. What I do know for sure is the Butch T blows me away every year!

I have offered seed to you Potawie but you declined. I would love to see the beautiful brainy pods you would grow and to keep the strain going and growing strong. I received my scorpion seed from cmpman1974 for the 2008 season and do not know if mine are ButchT or not, I know Chris grows them, but in the two years I have grown them side by side the 7 Pod rules the heat scale. My scorpions are still hot like a Bhut Jolokia with teeth and a mean bite, but the 7 Pod will melt your face and everything else in it's way. Does it really matter which is hottest at that level of pain, it is really just a personal preference to a pods shape and taste? I may be a little biased.

Thanks for the seed offer PRF, maybe next year. Personally I'm trying to stop focusing on growing super-hots for a while. Although they are my favorite to grow, I'm really a wuss with fresh super-hottties and usually prefer mine a little on the milder side:shh:

I grew 7 pod Jonahs I received from Scoville and NMSU/CPI Bhuts pretty much side by side here. in my yard I think my Jonahs were hotter.

Where can this Brain Strain be purchased? I've got Jonahs and Trinidad Scorpions from Hippy Seed (Neil) growing right now but can't seem to find the Brain Strain. Also does anybody have any pictures? This thing sounds intriguing.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Grow all the super hot out yourself and decide for yourself, but in my opinion there is no comparision between a true 7 Pod and any other pepper, it just blows all others away. The Bhut and scorpion are edible if you eat them in very small pieces with a meal but I have never been able to eat more than a very small sliver of 7 Pod Brain Strain. I say let's get a hottest pepper smackdown and have three THP judges who we send our peppers to and judge the heat subjectively later this year. We can have our own THP hottest pepper scale, I already know the winner.

I vote Neil to be one of the judges, he is more than qualified

boutros said:
I grew 7 pod Jonahs I received from Scoville and NMSU/CPI Bhuts pretty much side by side here. in my yard I think my Jonahs were hotter.

I got those Jonah's from Butcht 2 years ago,the plant still lives!Unfortunately I didn't have the same luck with the Scorpions.

Back