• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Healthy or sick?

I noticed today that one of my butch t plants had a leaf that looked kind of odd, when I looked closer it looked like the leaf was starting to turn brown in a certain area. I then noticed other plants lower leaves were starting to yellow from the tip of the leaf. They are all in Happy Frog soil, under t8 shop lights for about 16-18 hours a day, watered once every 3-4 days, and have not yet been given ferts. Is this something I need to worry about and address quickly, or are they fine and let them ride it out?

The plant that is causing most concern.

Two different plants with leaves starting to yellow at the tips.

the lowest small leaves are the cotyledons, they will fall off and thats normal. As far as the others I'm not sure sorry. I know fox farms are very rich soils.

Thank you for the replies. I was just concerned because the plant in pic #1 made me worry the plant might have some kind of disease because of how the first set of true leaves looked.  and it raised more concerns when I noticed about 60% of the other plants first set of true leaves were starting to go from a dark green to a lime green/yellowish color.

In my opinion, the plant looks fine. As PrimeTime mentioned, the first set will fall off on healthy plants. As for the next set showing the slight discoloration, it could be a number of things. PrimeTime also pointed out that Fox Farms is pretty rich. I run Fow Farm Ocean Floor on my soil pots, but the way I grow, the first exposure to fertilizer is a mix of 2 parts Ocean Floor, 1 part perlite, and one part peat moss. This cuts down the nutrients a lot. If you have ever measured your run-off, the new fox farm soil all on its own has a reading of over 3k ppm! My DWC (hydro) sysytem runs at 800-900 ppm for comparison.

So long story short, the reason that is all relevant, in my opnion, is because your soil mix was rich enough to shock the plants a little in the rearly stages (as the second set of leaves were being formed). As a result the second set showed signs of a very slight nutrient lockout. Something wasn't being taken up by the roots either because of too much disolved solids in the water, or an unfriendly soil ph. Another possibility, due to possibly watering issues is not enough oxygen to the roots.

But now that the plant has grown a bit and toughened up, the newest sets of leaves are super healthy looking. This just means, to me, that you had a slight issue of being a tad to heavy on the nutrient exposure in the very beginning and it has evened out to a nice mix over time since the water that you give it sill slowly flushed out the heavy nutrients and the plant is responding very well.

My suggestion, if it helps, is to cut your soil mix for baby plants with some perlite. It will aide in drainage also. And if you want to buy a small bag of peat moss, it's cheap, it can help in water retention and disease control. - just my 2 cents.

Since the new growth is a healthy green and setting nicely, if you keep up what you are doing, you will have a strong plant in the near future.

Hey thanks for the advice and the info. would you recommend for the plants already in soil to flush them with water or just leave them and let them be?

I would remove the yellowed leaves, since yellowing rarely ever improves. Don't want the plant wasting energy trying to support sick/damaged leaves. If they have been transplanted recently it might be fert burn, and flushing with water or FF sledgehammer would probably help, but if they have been in the fox farm for quite a while and this just started I would say the opposite, probably a nitrogen deficiency since the lower leaves normally show it first (new growth robbing nitrogen from the old leaves), happy frog does not feed for a long time on its own. The only way to know for sure about nitrogen deficiency is to get a soil tester from home depot, which is a good thing to have around IMO. If you don't want to do that you could always flush one, fertilize one, and leave the 3rd alone to see what works for you.

All 3 of the plants were put into the cups with the happy frog soil on 1/17. When I inspected the plants today I noticed the next set of leaves are starting to yellow at the tips and the first set of true leaves are starting to turn a brown color.

What were the plants in before fox farm?

I would highly recommend getting the soil tester from home depot or amazon, under $20 if I recall and once you have one you will never need to worry about it again. The one I have from home depot will say 'fertility low' if nitrogen is needed.  The plants being in FF less than a month does sound like fert burn more than a nitrogen deficiency, but you never know... unfortunately yelowing leaves can mean different things. Definitely remove the brown leaves and if you don't get the tester I think the best course of action is to experiment, flush one or repot into a mix light on nutrients, leave one alone, and fertilize the 3rd. You will prob lose one, but guessing wrong and losing all 3 would suck. Are you in zone 6? You may have just enough time to start a few more seeds as backup.

I had the plants in coco coir before the happy frog. They all have been doing great until about 3 days ago then it kind of just started happening, I actually have a few plants that are going crazy and even throwing out new shoots. I was told by the guy at the hydroponics shop that the FF ocean forest would be too hot for the plants but the Happy Frog wouldn't cause any problems. Like you said yellowing leaves could mean many different things. I Think I'm going to do some experimenting and see what resolves the issue, as long as it isn't some disease that will spread to my other plants, which I had originally  thought. Thanks for the advice and idea of experimenting, and thank you to everyone else who has posted comments and advice and info. I'm in zone 5 btw

Id say the is no way there is any deficiency in a soil that rich so soon. I probably wouldn't give it any nutrient until spring but i might be wrong.

Haha yeah I know the Styrofoam doesn't look the greatest but it was the cheapest thing I could find. I just gave one of the plants some Neptune's Harvest fish and seaweed I think it's 2-3-1 just to experiment. I did just check the soil and it was bone dry all the way to the bottom, to the point where the soil wasn't even touching the cup at the top. I am hoping it's a watering issue because I have not watered them like I normally do.

Quick update. I bought a soil tester and tested the soil the soil ph sits around 6.8-7 had good amounts of  phosphorus and potash oddly enough I got a low or no nitrogen read, and I did the test twice. I already water the plants deeply today so should I let the be or give them a diluted mix of this Neptune's harvest fish and seaweed fert as a foliar feeding

I'd let them go a little bit before watering any more. It won't kill the plants (they look healthy) to go a little while longer without a feeding. I think in the short term, overwatering is a more of pressing concern than a nutrient deficiency. KnowwhatImean?
     Way to go on getting the soil tester! A little investment and BINGO, the question is answered! No more guessing and wondering. If you use it enough, I bet you'll start to get a really good idea of what your plants need just by looking at them.
     Now I want one...

Back