• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

heat Heat From Seeds

Does anyone percentage wise how much heat comes from the seeds? I've been making a sauce using Scotch Bonnets after removing the seeds. I wanted a milder sauce. Now I'm going to increase the volume of sauce and I'd rather not spend days de-seeding bushels of peppers. I want to reduce the number of peppers and leave in the seeds and end up with approximately the same heat values. Does anyone know how I would find this info?

I'm also freezing peppers. Does freezing change the flavor and heat from a pepper?

From Wikipedia a pretty good explaination:

Capsaicin is present in large quantities in the placental tissue (which holds the seeds), the internal membranes and, to a lesser extent, the other fleshy parts of the fruits of plants in the genus Capsicum. Contrary to popular belief, the seeds themselves do not produce any capsaicin, although the highest concentration of capsaicin can be found in the white pith around the seeds.[7]

If you have been removing JUST the seeds it won't make a lot of difference if you leave them in…. if you have been removing the seeds AND the white fleshy placenta surrounding them, then it will be much much hotter if you start leaving it in.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be gutting these peppers again this year :-(

From Wikipedia a pretty good explaination:

Capsaicin is present in large quantities in the placental tissue (which holds the seeds), the internal membranes and, to a lesser extent, the other fleshy parts of the fruits of plants in the genus Capsicum. Contrary to popular belief, the seeds themselves do not produce any capsaicin, although the highest concentration of capsaicin can be found in the white pith around the seeds.[7]

If you have been removing JUST the seeds it won't make a lot of difference if you leave them in…. if you have been removing the seeds AND the white fleshy placenta surrounding them, then it will be much much hotter if you start leaving it in.

The seeds grow attached to the placenta - the source of heat in chiles... they are hot, but only because the heat from the placenta rubbed onto them. because they're not the actual cause, removing them would not change the heat level.

Back