Hello from Arvada Colorado

Hiya,
My name is Michelle and I live in Arvada Colorado. I am a mom of six (23g, 19b, 19b, 17g, 11g & 11b). This will be my second season growing hot peppers. I have only had a plant or two for many years due to moving and kiddos. Now that we own a little piece of Colorado again my gardening bug has been revived. I have been learning more about the challenges of our short season here in Colorado. My poor husband is dreading the warm weather since he is the main hole digger/garden maker. The soil here is clay and the house had no improved soil or landscaping (besides tons of river rocks). I have been lurking here since last summer and have learned much from you all. This past fall I also started vermicomposting. I can't wait to see how much the vermicompost helps my plant grow. I have over wintered a habanero, bhut jolokia and a poblano (why this one? I'm not sure) along with my Meyer lemon tree that is making my garden tub a real garden tub. -grin-

What I plan to do with my peppers is to eat them fresh on my nachos, pickle the jalapeños, dry the hots to powder/flakes, freeze some for cooking and enjoy until the next harvest. There are also several folks at my husbands work that I plan to share the peppers. I am also green with envy seeing how big some of your plants have gotten. I want to have a pepper tree. Hopefully, this years grow will get some tall ones. Anything over two feet will be taller than I had last year. Ha ha

I have started some seeds this year. In the past I have only bought seedlings. So far, (keeping fingers crossed, knocking on wood) things seem to be going well. The only probs so far is the Marconi and bhut jolokia have not come up yet. I doubt the bhut will come up since it was from a pod from one of the OW plants and the pods have been on the small size, plus it is probably a cross because I was only hand pollinating for fruit and not seeds. I may be staring to see some hooks on the Marconi, darn eyes are starting to need reading glasses. They were planted 2 1/2 weeks ago. Most of the seedlings moved on to cups. I have another tray waiting to germinate on my one heating mat.

So, this is me. Hope to get to know you all better this year.
M

:welcome: from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

¡Hola! and welcome from south FL
880smile-1.png

Hi and welcome from western Massachusetts. Quite some years ago, I spent a tour of duty at Ft Carson, south of Colorado Springs. I take it you're on the dry, east-facing slope of the rockies? How high up?

Thanks for the welcome!

stickman- We are at about 5400 feet. Still in the flatish area that makes up the area east of the foothills. Yep, we are in a dry area and having a drought conditions for a while now. Much as I want spring to come we need a lot more snow in the high country. We lived in the Springs from 2000-05 off Dublin Rd.

AZJ- I am waiting but I just don't seem to have enough patience when I see how big the other stuff has gotten. I'll give them time since I don't need their space before calling it done.

Welcome neighbor! to the growing legion of front range pepper farmers.
Nice move on the vermicomposting.
Hopefully you'll start a Glog so we can all follow along.
Good luck with your season!

Welcome, neighbor. Nice to see Colorado gardeners here. Many, many experienced gardeners and farmers here with so much info to share. Glad you're here.

Welcome, and yup.
Lots of people here (me included) *try* to grow these tropical plants in places they were never intended to grow.
Many with envious success.
Good luck!

Back