Hello from STL

Just wanted to say hey. I found THP throug a search and have been reading the forums for the last couple of days and decided to join in the discussion. I am a suburban back yard gardener with enough space for about 25 pepper plants each year and 6-8 tomato plants. Enough about gardening, I have a surplus of peppers this year and am trying to decide what to do with them. I have apprx. 2-3 lbs. each of habanero, serrano, jalapeno, and a longer thicker walled pepper with a little less heat than a jalapeno. I would like to make some hot sauce as well as drying some and canning some for nachos and such.

My main concern is that the peppers are sitting on the counter while I decide what to do. Should I refrigerate or leave out? I believe I will ferment a large portion of them but I must do some more reading on the threads. Thanks to everyone out there working to make this website what it is! By far the best of all the websites as far as gathering as much experience in one place, very thorough.

:welcome: from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

hello from saint louis as well

on your question on what to do with the peppers, i take my extras and boil 3cups white vinegar to 1 cup water and put them in sterilized mason jars till i figure out what direction they are going to take, they are softer this way, but have no vinegar taste, just like Jared jalapenos' you would get from the store

Welcome from central Pennsylvania. You definitely came to the right place. You can spend weeks upon weeks on here, and barely scratch the surface of the available information and knowledge.

:welcome: to THP and Greetings from the Metrolina in North Carolina !
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]"The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite"[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :flamethrower:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :onfire:[/background]

Welcome from 63139! If you are going to make sauce you can freeze your peppers whole. When they thaw they will turn to mush, but you won't have to fight an overly acidic, vinegar flavor that can be tough to overcome. BTW - better get everything picked before tomorrow night...freeze warning in effect!

Back