• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Hello to all and some pepper ID concerns

Hello Pepper Friends,
I’m new to the forum and glad to be here. I’ve just brought my plants inside due to Irene’s winds which were jostling them around quite a bit. Yes, we’re feeling them as far inland as Columbia, SC. This gave me a chance to photograph them. These are the most successful of an assortment of pepper seeds given to me by my cousin. They are over 16 months old and just now getting mature peppers. This is because I stunted the heck out of them. Anyway, I’ve learned a bunch from reading your posts and it has helped bring these guys to healthy plants. The assortment included chocolate habaneros, bhut jolokias, and hot fish peppers to the best of my recollection. One plant that I gave away is clearly a habanero and the hot fish peppers did not survive. So I’m putting in some photos of the variation in these peppers to see if you guys have thoughts on them. The first and second photo shows two plants with dark green almost square shaped peppers with wrinkly skin. These plants have red-purplish stems. The third photo shows smooth-skinned almost habanero-shaped fruit, but has similar red-purplish stems. The final photo has a more oblong pepper with a wrinkly skin. Sorry for the lack of a scale but most of these guys are on the order of 1.5 to almost 2 inches long at this point. Any thoughts on what I’ve got? We are growing jalapenos and cayennes on the other side of the house and a neighbor down the road grows Caribbean reds. Also, I’m thinking I need to transplant some of these bigger plants into 5 gallon buckets after the harvest. They are currently in 1 to 1.5 gallon buckets. Thanks for any help you can provide,
Bill
PICT0080.jpg

PICT0076.jpg

PICT0079.jpg

PICT0083.jpg

Hi first-timer!, your plants look great as well as the pods, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pot up to a larger container in the long run. I'm not sure how long your growing season is but you might also consider over-wintering, especially if you have a favorite plant. That would give you a jump on next year's grow. If that interests you ,a search on that perticular procedure can be found in numerous spots here and in the growing peppers forum....good luck ...P.S. if your neighbor is willing to part with one of his "Caribbean Reds" plants, I would consider over-wintering that also...thats my favorite pepper...enjoy

Hi first-timer!, your plants look great as well as the pods, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pot up to a larger container in the long run. I'm not sure how long your growing season is but you might also consider over-wintering, especially if you have a favorite plant. That would give you a jump on next year's grow. If that interests you ,a search on that perticular procedure can be found in numerous spots here and in the growing peppers forum....good luck ...P.S. if your neighbor is willing to part with one of his "Caribbean Reds" plants, I would consider over-wintering that also...thats my favorite pepper...enjoy

+1

:welcome: from Vermont.

Back