Help building an LED panel

First off, forgive me for starting another thread. Secondly forgive me for not posting sources, there were too many to keep track of. And off we go!

I am looking to start building my own LED grow light. After much searching, and digesting of information on photosynthetic wavelengths, I have decided to go with the following wavelengths.

Blue: 430nm, 450nm
Red: 640nm, 660nm

I chose the above after reviewing various post across the net and screening images of photosynthetic absorption %. These four numbers represent the peak absorption rates for Chlorophyll A & B, in addition the 450nm coincides with the top peak carotenoids.

That brings me to some questions:
  1. What is the ideal ratio of blue:red lights? Should I go heavier on the red than the blue?
  2. Where can I find a list of the required electrical components for an LED grow light?
  3. Can this be done without a fan if kept under 100W? (I realize having a fan would increase longevity)
  4. Can anyone recommend a good place to source LEDs and parts cheaply?
Any help would be very much appreciated!

1. pretty heavy on red to blue. You can grow plants on pure red light actually the blue is just an after thought as it is shown even a small amount increases growth and prevents edema. some say 2:1 some say 10:1, gotta research it.
2. Need a power supply (convert home AC to current limited DC)(usually called an led driver), the led, Something to mount it on
3. The bigger the LED the hotter it gets, if you use a bunch of small ones and spread them out its ok. I like fan as you should have one on plants anyway...
4. ebay(china)

OKGrowin said:
1. pretty heavy on red to blue. You can grow plants on pure red light actually the blue is just an after thought as it is shown even a small amount increases growth and prevents edema. some say 2:1 some say 10:1, gotta research it.
2. Need a power supply (convert home AC to current limited DC)(usually called an led driver), the led, Something to mount it on
3. The bigger the LED the hotter it gets, if you use a bunch of small ones and spread them out its ok. I like fan as you should have one on plants anyway...
4. ebay(china)

Do you have a specific ebay shop in mind?

I was originally looking into building a panel myself as well, but after doing some math I came to the conclusion that building it myself would be way too expensive, and require way too much time. If you don't want fans, you'd have to have aluminium cooling ribs made especially for your need...

I ended up buying LED bulbs from China, and I'm extremely happy with them. I've posted a bit about which ones I have here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45338-copenhagen-led-grow/#entry953528

Sometimes the vendors on www.aliexpress.com are cheaper than the ones on Ebay - so try looking at both.

You know I'm actually coming to the same conclusion about parts and labor. Although mx did help me out earlier understanding what would go into it. After I priced it out, it's not that much cheaper than some of the Ufo lights on Amazon.

Thanks for posting that link to your thread, I forgot to follow up on it! Might have to give those a try and put off building til down the road.

Here's one of the LEDs I was looking at. It's a 10w and comes in different wavelengths. Was thinking I would wire up 9 of these. Eight 660nm and one 460-70nm. Then I realized I would have to figure out how much power I need, and what kind of drivers to buy etc etc. Plus the panels and the fans. -_-

i'll be making a diy thread with 10w leds in a month or so lol. But yeah if you're trying to do DIY led fixture you're going to have to do some basic circuitry / soldering, if you're not up for that then maybe just buying the led bulbs or strips are ok.

see this one is really simple.
or could do something like this
filmost said:

someguy said:

Because the 5050 LEDs put out substantially more light and even the 5050's arent enough. The 5050's are 3 3528's on one die. There's no focus to any of them so they have something like 120-150 degree spread. They have to be super close to grow anything, like an inch away at most.

It's basically like trying to grow a plant with a single candle.

There's someone growing with 5050's here. Go look how close his lights are. Pretty soon he might be able to keep the top leaves alive while the rest all drop off.

filmost said:
Mx do you think is better to have a narrower, more focused spread as opposed to a wider, more even spread?

Always narrow. Or the inverse square law will kick your ass.

What do you guys think about these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-Watt-RED-HIGH-POWER-LED-Plant-Grow-Growth-Light-lamp-655-660nm-500LM-6V-DIY-/270856487031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f104e0077

Three of those for a single grow box that is somewhere in the range of 4cft and lined with mylar. I think it would work well for this space BUT price would still come out to $24 for the LED + $14 for a 36w LED Driver + X for fan/plates/heatsink/cabling etc.  Where as single 36w LED lamp only cost between $20-30 hmm.

In either case it would still be a wait for me, in the range of 15-30 days for shipping via China Post.  No clue why it takes that long. Shipping options to the the US are 7-15 days.

Also, given the LED I linked to above, I would also need a lens correct? To protect the diodes?

filmost said:
First off, forgive me for starting another thread. Secondly forgive me for not posting sources, there were too many to keep track of. And off we go!

I am looking to start building my own LED grow light. After much searching, and digesting of information on photosynthetic wavelengths, I have decided to go with the following wavelengths.

Blue: 430nm, 450nm
Red: 640nm, 660nm

I chose the above after reviewing various post across the net and screening images of photosynthetic absorption %. These four numbers represent the peak absorption rates for Chlorophyll A & B, in addition the 450nm coincides with the top peak carotenoids.

That brings me to some questions:
  1. What is the ideal ratio of blue:red lights? Should I go heavier on the red than the blue?
  2. Where can I find a list of the required electrical components for an LED grow light?
  3. Can this be done without a fan if kept under 100W? (I realize having a fan would increase longevity)
  4. Can anyone recommend a good place to source LEDs and parts cheaply?
Any help would be very much appreciated!

Coincidentally, I was playing with LED wavelength choices today as well.   

Not sure I understand your wavelength choices. 

450nm seems a little too far from the strong, and rather narrow, Chlor B absorption peak at that happen at 480nm.  Yea, 450 tickles the carotenes, but so would an ideal 480. 

Also, the red Chlo A peak is closer to 670~680 than 650. The Chlor B peak at 650 is not very strong.  I wonder if it could be skipped altogether.

I came up with three frequencies. 

435nm ChA
480nm ChB and Carotenes.  Since this is the main ChB, and will also be energizing the carotenes, I was thinking of throwing in more of these emitters.
670~680 for the second ChA peak, and to add some generic 'red' to the mix for the plant's peace of mind. ;)

Finding affordable, sufficiently powerful LEDs may be the hard part.  I haven't done much Fleabay searching yet, but did discover that a pure 435 emitter is hard to find.  The typical advertized wavelength is "420~435," which will, I suppose, have to be close enough!

Fan requirements will follow the size of the heatsink you nail everything to.  A big finned piece of extruded aluminum should be able to radiate quite a bit of power w/o any help.

Back