• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

HELP! I'm now in a battle...

GrumpyBear said:
am i the only one amused that you went to walmart and got the exact product IGG said you didn't need to go to walmart for?

Actually, I read IGG's post after I got back from Walmart and yes I too found it rather amusing. :lol:

I too have found 2 plants with aphids !!
moved them out from the greenhouse and will be watching real close to see if there are more..
middle greenhouse has ladybugs so I may move all of them there as flower selling season is coming to a close.
I have used soap from my greenhouse supply and it works well in most cases but ladybugs are best but I only have used them in the greenhouse.
Outside may be an issue?? anyone an expert on this??

Paul
Yikes hope you kill all those lil bassturds!! I was outside
with G/F and Gunner and I looked at my containers and saw
what looked like an adult black aphid crawling on the edge
and promptely squished it. Looked over the plant under leaves
didnt see any but will be watching real close now!!

Pepperfreak said:
Oh...I should have mentioned that this is 70% Neem and is the only "active" ingredient listed. 3-in-1 is listed and as a fungicide, an insecticide and a miticide. It was also the only product that Walmart had containing Neem. I hope that it is okay...I'm so stressed right now, I keep thinking the worst (that all of my hard work and months of caring for these 'babies' are being ruined by these...these *astards. That I'm going to wake up in the morning and find 104 plants all laying over with a grayish tint to them) Boy, I think I better go grab a drink.

*Walks out of the room and grabs a beer from the fridge*

Hehe, that's funny, it's the one I suggested and you got it without reading the post.

Oh, I forgot to post a new question to my problem...:confused:

It's now raining, can I still apply the neem treatment even though it's lightly raining?

as long as it's not a downpour i'm sure it'll be a little effective, i'm assuming you have plenty so it's nothing to just reapply again after it dries up (it's all about buying your plants some time until you can give 'em the full strength treatment) essentially it can't hurt, and it might help...

i'm in a similar situation, after coming back from my last trip i found aphids all over my babies so that's when i decided it was time to plant out (and just going by the temperatures they really should all be dead now but they're fine, in fact the only one i lost was due to the aphids and might not even be lost afterall *holds onto shred of hope*) but it's been miserably rainy since, and serious thunderstorms too, so i've basically been reapplying constantly.

Well, I just came in from the rain...I must have been a sight in my raincoat bent over ALL of my plants, closely inspecting each and every leaf. But, I couldn't find and aphids....
medium-smiley-013.gif
Hopefully this means that the toxic cover of dust that I treated them with last night worked. I will begin my neem treatments after the rain passes though. Thanks to Bent and the rest here for leading me toward a healthier and better product.
medium-smiley-133.gif

I had a plant that was completely infested

leaf_eggs.0001.jpg

I bought some lady bugs and released them in the late evening and they stuck around for several days and completely cleaned the plants. So far I have not seen any more aphids.

lady_bugs.0001.jpg

I have also heard that aphids do not like the kelp fertilizer when sprayed on the leaves.

Well, In between showers I checked my plants and they were back (the Aphids)...
angry-smiley-054.gif

I just got in from soaking them with neem and I must say...Using the 1 gallon sprayer was a lot easier than trying to dust them with that duster I bought from Lowe's (I actually think I dusted myself more than I did the plants).

Neem to the rescue...The War wages on...
action-smiley-043.gif

aphids have babies like nobodies business, they're born pregnant, so one left alive can re-establish the whole population in no time, hence the need for repeated treatments at regular short intervals and after rain. i've never used neem so i don't know how long it stays working on plants so you might not have to repeat that one as quickly, actually too much might be bad because it's an oil i think...hosing them off before reapplying isn't a bad idea tho cuz aphids don't really hang onto the plant really well so that can knock a bunch off (plus, the plants just look prettier without all the aphid corpses...)

I forget to mention that if you have problem with insects what I do put dozen of Merigold flowers plant in each side of garden it is natural repellent most of bugs don't like the smell of it.

I wanted to give everyone an update. It seems as though neem hasn't done it. Everyday, I've been checking my plants and keep finding the Aphids. In fact, just today, I was sitting on my deck reading the directions for "Ortho Malathion Plus Insect Spray Concentrate" that I just bought and I actually found an Aphid on my shirt.

So at sundown, I filled up my sprayer with the proper mixture of this bug spray and water and commenced to spraying EVERYTHING in my garden. Even sprayed all of my wife's flowers (including the marigolds). Hoping that this works as well as napalm on these little sh*ts...LOL

I get bugs on my plants every night covering the undersides
of every leaf but they are gnats using them as a resting/hiding place :)
but seriously I hope you kill all the lil fuggers
napalm their a**es good luck paul i would hate to have some
little bug destroy a ton of had work

Pepperfreak said:
Thanks Tom...When I get home in the AM, I will be checking every leaf. I'm hoping that all I find is a bunch of corpses!
Let's hope they are aphid corpses and not people corpses...but that would be an amussing surprise. I could just here the wife now,

"Honey! Where are their 17 people lying face down in your pepper planters?"

Thanks for your concerns, but drastic times call for drastic measures. BTW, that was some interesting info Potawie. I am following the directions to the letter.

Checked the plants today and found a bunch of dead Aphids. There were some that weren't dead, but I could tell it was just a matter of time. I am planning on switching back to neem after I get a handle on these Aphids, which I think I just have. Fortunately, I think I caught them early enough to avoid any major damage.

Back