• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help!

Hey hey hey!

I'm new there so please don't burn me!

So I get some seeds and these looks strange :?:

7f87.jpg

1. Bhut Jolokia
2. Yellow Fatalii
3. Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
4. Trinidad Scorpion Moruga

Fatali looks ok, like other seeds what I have, but other three are with red-orange-brown color edge :think:
Are these ok?

Where'd you get them? Most reputable vendors weed out the darker seeds...they may still sprout for you, but they are less likely to. I recommend sticking to reputable vendors, check out the vendor vault for the ones folks have had success with. What is more disappointing is when you get a few to pop and grow out only to find out that they're Orange Habaneros instead of the real deal. Hopefully not the case for you. You should go to the welcome page and introduce yourself so folks can say hello!!!

As already stated, dark seeds (except for pubescens, which naturally have a dark coating) are usually questionable. But even more than the color is the textural appearance. The pic isn't 100% in focus, so that could be influencing them, but pepper seeds are usually rather smooth-surfaced, or at least more so than those appear to be. If you want to try to salvage them, give them a good soak in a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water for up to overnight to kill off any unseen germs/fungus/whatever. Instead of sticking them in dirt, put them between some damp coffee filters so they remain moist, stick them in a plastic tub and put the lid on. After the first few days (they likely won't sprout within, say, 4 days), check them every day to see what's going on. Mist to keep moist if needed. Move any that sprout to starter mix as soon as the root appears to open the seed casing.

Note that seeds sprout at different rates, depending on germination conditions, viability of the seed, and plant variety. However, if it's been 3-4 weeks and a seed hasn't sprouted, it's likely a dud and should be tossed.

Ocho Cinco said:
# 1, 3 and 4 look like they may have been dried at a high temperature. Maybe someone got them from some dried pods.

Thanks for opinion, I think that there is a chance that the seeds were dried at high temperature, but also why seed seller do that :confused:

rebelgrower3 said:
I have good seeds for 1 3 4 if you send me a sasbe I'll get them to you.

My english isn't very good, was is "sasbe"? Write Pm with your offer ;)

geeme said:
As already stated, dark seeds (except for pubescens, which naturally have a dark coating) are usually questionable. But even more than the color is the textural appearance. The pic isn't 100% in focus, so that could be influencing them, but pepper seeds are usually rather smooth-surfaced, or at least more so than those appear to be. If you want to try to salvage them, give them a good soak in a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water for up to overnight to kill off any unseen germs/fungus/whatever. Instead of sticking them in dirt, put them between some damp coffee filters so they remain moist, stick them in a plastic tub and put the lid on. After the first few days (they likely won't sprout within, say, 4 days), check them every day to see what's going on. Mist to keep moist if needed. Move any that sprout to starter mix as soon as the root appears to open the seed casing.

Note that seeds sprout at different rates, depending on germination conditions, viability of the seed, and plant variety. However, if it's been 3-4 weeks and a seed hasn't sprouted, it's likely a dud and should be tossed.

I know how to grow(germinate) chillies(at least I think so :D ), but anyway thanks for trying to help! And also thanks for reming abaut hydrogen peroxide! Lets kill some microbes! :)

p.s. I will start germinate seeds at first days of January ;)

Pagonis said:
I know how to grow(germinate) chillies(at least I think so :D ), but anyway thanks for trying to help! And also thanks for reming abaut hydrogen peroxide! Lets kill some microbes! :)

My apologies if you were offended; that was not my intent. Since others said "stick them in soil", I really just wanted to point out that  germing between coffee filters makes what's happening with each seed readily visible, which isn't true of soil, in the event you were planning on germing them in soil. I prefer knowing without question if a seed will make it or not, so that's how I germ all of my seeds. Best wishes on your grow!

thirdcoasttx - But if they come when I sleep and eat me? :scared: Ok I get it ;)[/quote]
If they grow up and eat you I'll be first in line for some of those seeds! :D

geeme said:

My apologies if you were offended; that was not my intent. Since others said "stick them in soil", I really just wanted to point out that  germing between coffee filters makes what's happening with each seed readily visible, which isn't true of soil, in the event you were planning on germing them in soil. I prefer knowing without question if a seed will make it or not, so that's how I germ all of my seeds. Best wishes on your grow!

I'm not offended, all is ok, I like when people helps to me! Abaut germinate - I don't do this in soil, I take some water and paper towel, If you know what I mean :D
Thanks! You too!

rebelgrower3 said:

Oh now I understand ;)

thirdcoasttx said:
If they grow up and eat you I'll be first in line for some of those seeds! :D

But I will be eaten by them! :(

Cool. I used to use paper towels, too, but switched to coffee filters. I found that if I didn't check often enough and the root got a bit long, the weave of the paper towels is loose enough that the root can become embedded in it. Then it was a PITA to try to get the root out of the paper towel without breaking (and, hence, killing) the plant. Coffee filters have a tighter weave, so are less problematic that way.

Reactions: SL3
Back