• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How crazy am I

Confession time. This is my first year growing any veggies in pots. The first 8 pots that I did, I used poor quality soil (bad drainage). After almost 3 weeks, they are still wet from my original planting and some rain. There are plenty of large drainage hole in the bottom sides.

So, after seeing 'fabric pots' and their benefits of aeration, I decided to drill a whole lot of holes in the plastic 3 and 5 gallon pots. I drilled 100+ small holes (3/32") in each pot all along the sides from top to bottom. Not for water drainage, but for aeration.

Was I totally off my rocker? Has anyone else done this?

I don't know about the number of small holes but you have the right idea for sure. Plant roots need to have proper drainage and good aeration. Just like anything else, quality ingredients go a long way and good soil is the key.

not only have i drilled extra holes in the sides and bottom,
i am also one that rams a chopstick (i bring them home from phò')
down through the mix for aeration.

i dunno if it hurts or helps but it seems to help with the drainages
(i think if it drains good, it breathes good, hand in hand)

:crazy:

edited for spelling

Careful, if your potting mix drains well in combination with too many drainage holes it can be very wasteful of water. You have to water for a long time after it runs out of the holes to soak the mix whereas if it runs out more slowly through one or two holes the mix has time to soak it up.

Just a hippie thought.
-Phil

I, myself, usually do 3/8 bits on my. Usually between 5 and 8 on the bottom and another 5-8 on the sides. I don't see too much of a problem with 100 tiny ones. Would essentially become more of a screen than a bottom.

As long as the drainage holes aren't blocked by a hard surface (like a concrete patio) you should be fine.

A good mix is the way to go for sure. Next year I'll be doing things quite differently, but for now drilling holes is cheaper than repotting :D In any case, I didn't see any harm in drilling the holes other than what Phildeez said about watering, which can be avoided by bottom watering or watering very slowly. I love to experiment.

Thank you everyone!
Code:
They're coming to take me away haha, they're coming to take me away hehe. 
I just can't wait to see those nice young men in their clean white coats ...

Back