• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground How fine does soil need to be? (Planting in ground)...

Hello all,

I just have a basic question regarding growing peppers in the ground. I currently have my plants in solo cups til they get bigger and I'm working on a patch in the yard, however the ground around here is incredibly rocky. I've pulled out all of the big ones but I'm still left with a lot of smaller bits and broken chunks.

My question is how fine do I need to get the soil in order to successfully grow? I'm paranoid that if I don't filter it all down (and I really don't have THAT much time!) my plants will be effed cause of it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks all!

I'm not 100% certain but I would think that if your soil is on the heavy side, you may run into compaction issues? Leaving smallish rocks may aid in aeration, too..Are you going to mix any amendments with the current soil?

I think they will be alright. You really only need fine soil without rocks when growing carrots and other root vegetables.

Spend the time ! Dig out the crap as deep and around as u can and back fill with something decent! Don't know how many u have etc but it's a labour of addiction and a must do.

So far I've put hours into it but at some point the plants will be big enough so that they have to be put into the ground. What with a 3 year old I squeeze time in whenever I can to filter more rocks but I just don't know how much I'll get done before the plants need to be rehoused.

Hey;
,planting in the ground can be tricky if theres any type of run off such; as fertilizers, pesticides, old lead paint buried into the top soil..I 'd consider having a soil test if this is your first time planting edibles in the ground.just to be safe Rocky soil is a pain in the arse to deal with. I like to see the top 8 to 10" clean of any large debris. Sure you'll have rocks and so forth, especially if your in an area with new construction. Fill is used here where I live to shore up the foundation Not knowing exactly your situation, I would recommend a raised bed or wide row plantings where the soil is hilled up. Although a pepper seed can grow out of a crack in the sidewalk, you still new to be able to til the earth where the roots roam..
Good luck with your outdoor venture

Greg..

Back