• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How long do I have to wait????

Heh guys,

Just got my first grow on the go before Christmas, and am just looking for some info on how long these plants take before I can harvest some fruit?

Iv got some Piri Piri on the go, and a Chocolate Hab. They are just starting to bud up, and Im expecting my first flowers in the next few days.

Kinda things Id like to know....

How long do plants take from breaking soil to 1st harvest?
Im growing inside, under a small lamp, will this effect times?
Do different varieties take different times? Do hotter varieties take longer?
How long do flowers take to drop off?
etc etc,

any info at all most appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

How long do plants take from breaking soil to 1st harvest? Oh some around three months, some around six months. It varies on species.

Im growing inside, under a small lamp, will this effect times? Umm yeah. You'll probably never get any pods, flowers if you're lucky but most of them will fall off

Do different varieties take different times? Do hotter varieties take longer? That's not a serious questions is it? Kind of common sense plus it was answered in the first question. Yep, hotter varieties do tend to take longer but not because of the heat.

How long do flowers take to drop off? You don't want them to drop off, you want them to get pollinated and then grow into peppers. Part of the flower might stay on the pepper and cause a little ring on the end of it. Some people think that may have had something to do with scorpion peppers getting their tails. I'm not one of them.

etc etc, And so on and so on.

Im growing inside, under a small lamp, will this effect times?

How long do flowers take to drop off?
Patrick's a pretty smart guy there, and knows what he's talking about. But just a tad more on these two questions...

Growing under a small lamp: The lumens and spectrum may be sufficient for growth when it comes to babies, but adult plants in production need much more than that in order to produce. If you have no option but to grow indoors, you'll want to invest in some more serious lighting before you'll get any real production. There are tons of threads on this site about grow lights; I recommend you do some research through them to see what might work for you if that's the route you need to take. Otherwise, know you'll want to get those babies out in the sun when the temperatures start permitting it. Also know that you will have to go through a "hardening off" cycle in which you'll gradually introduce the plants to the great outdoors, as too much sun and/or wind too soon can kill them. Search for "hardening off" on this site, too.

Flowers dropping off: There is often a bit of terminology confusion with new growers, which may be the case here. What usually happens when a pod is produced is that only the petals fall off, not the entire flower. As Patrick said, you don't want the entire flower to fall off, as it cannot then produce a pod. So when you hear "flower drop", it's not a good thing. Petals, however, may or may not fall off. While most petals do, some may not, and may cling to what is called the blossom end of the pod for a while. It won't hurt the pod if the petals stay on, but they'll wilt and turn brownish. No biggie.

And +1 on scorpion peppers not getting their tails from part of the flower staying on the pepper. That ring is WAY too fragile to cause that to happen. Plus, more peppers would have tails if that were true. Kinda silly, imo.

geeme thanks for the compliment and taking the time to do some splainin'. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Oh, try the word "burgled". Almost as fun to say as "Gorgonzola".

I have been growing chili peppers indoors under HPS 250W lamp almost 3 years.
I've got such results:
Cultivar name Days from sprouting to getting 1st ripe fruit Days from flowering to getting 1 st ripe fruit

Trinidad Scorpion (C.chinense)...........................143...................................................................48
Belize Red (C.chinense)......................................186...................................................................40
Jamy (C.baccatum)................................................160...................................................................62
PI 585239 (C.baccatum).........................................151..................................................................59
Inca Red Drop (C.baccatum).................................107..................................................................42
Pimenta Biquinho (C.chinense).............................97....................................................................28
CGN 21500 (C.chinense)........................................173...................................................................33
Fish pepper (C.annuum).......................................124...................................................................46
PI 585261 (Ultra Pube; C.pubescens).....................177...................................................................48
Fatalii (C.chinense).................................................203..................................................................40
etc
Hope this info will help you! :)
P.S. Tried to make a kind of table but after submitting it looks like a mess... Sorry!

I have been growing chili peppers indoors under HPS 250W lamp almost 3 years.
I've got such results:
Cultivar name Days from sprouting to getting 1st ripe fruit Days from flowering to getting 1 st ripe fruit

Trinidad Scorpion (C.chinense) 143 48
Belize Red (C.chinense) 186 40
Jamy (C.baccatum) 160 62
PI 585239 (C.baccatum) 151 59
Inca Red Drop (C.baccatum) 107 42
Pimenta Biquinho (C.chinense) 97 28
CGN 21500 (C.chinense) 173 33
Fish pepper (C.annuum) 124 46
PI 585261 (Ultra Pube; C.pubescens) 177 48
Fatalii (C.chinense) 203 40
etc
Hope this info will help you! :)
P.S. Tried to make a kind of table but after submitting it looks like a mess... Sorry!

Nice to see the data points for each variety relative to the other varieties. I find the Biquinho result interesting as I too have young plants of this variety.

There's some quirks that make lining up text in forum posts a chore (I've done it before using code tags and many previews).

Back