• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors Hunting Thread

One of my pics I took I didnt notice what they had in the Boat untill I processed the Picture.

30569495753_6387ec2523_b.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Congrats, wish I liked them. Maybe I'll give them one more try and smoke some. Off to the woods for the weekend myself but bambi affairs. 

stettoman said:

Yeah, me too. Duck, pheasant, quail, dove, all good. Goose, especially the Canadas, have always been like liver flavored leather to me. Lots of goose hunters here, tried it done a few different ways, mostly varying sauces, but it's such a strange bird...

That's not saying I haven't given it a shot with the right recipe, but I always figured that good meat shouldn't require a "right" recipe.

ColdSmoke said:
I don't like them either...

Try injecting a bird (liberally) with heavy whipping cream, stuffing the cavity with quartered oranges, and roasting it (covered, until the last 20 minutes or so).

Discard the oranges after cooking, and serve with wild rice. I like to spike some mae ploy with hot powder for dipping...

muskymojo said:

Try injecting a bird (liberally) with heavy whipping cream, stuffing the cavity with quartered oranges, and roasting it (covered, until the last 20 minutes or so).

Discard the oranges after cooking, and serve with wild rice. I like to spike some mae ploy with hot powder for dipping...
I'll log and note this, marinating venison from tough old bucks in milk has made a spectacular difference in the end result, but there's not much for odds that I'll go out of my way to procure a goose anytime soon.

...Though I swear I saw a million of them fly overhead yesterday morning.

hardcore said:
fins and feathers morning at my camp

ab5s2d.jpg
Nice, I got that same exact gun...
Used it to bring in a good few grey ducks and teal yesterday and today.
My brother even shot two Buffleheads, which I don't think I've seen before.

Weather was crazy down in grand chenier this weekend...out it the marsh, we watched that cold front just sweep over us like a huge blanket of clouds. Everything instantly getting dark and windy and cold. It was quite some sinister, beautiful thing.

muskymojo said:

I usually just cut the breast meat out and call it good.

Then cut into thin strips to make jerky or bread and pan fry...over rice. 

Back