• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I seen a post the other day about legal questions on seed swapping.

I was reading a post,the other day about seeds swapping.They were talking about seeds library's being shut down.There are a few states claiming it's illegal to save seeds from peppers and other types of plants.One has to wonder where this will go.They want seeds library's to throw out left over seeds and buy new ones.That's crazy. :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:

Claiming? I hope they are not so stupid to already have a law about this.... I wonder when will we have to dump our babies and buy one... a GMO one...

What is the idea behind the crazy idea?
To protect DNA/intellectual property ?

So they say ......
You may buy the seed , grow the plant , enjoy the fruit , but not harvest the seeds/DNA ?

Scoville DeVille said:
It's not the government. It's big corporation(s) OWNING the government.

Ever heard of Monsanto?

Read this. http://www.seattleorganicrestaurants.com/vegan-whole-foods/dark-history-monsanto/

Here's a load of "fertilizer" from the horses "mouth"... http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/why-does-monsanto-sue-farmers-who-save-seeds.aspx

oh I know.   I wish the money would get out of politics, and corporations had to compete with everyone else.   No one owns the genes provided in nature.  

Most if not all states have laws which force seedmen to register.  Thing is, the usual definition of a seedman involves commerce / money trading hands for the seeds.  Here in KY it is nothing but a thing.  I forget the fee but it is small.  Thing is, states are starting to change things so you need to be a seedman just to trade or give away seeds.  In seed libraries, they want everyone who contributes to be a registered seedman.  You can see how that would put people off.  I mean lets say the fee is fifty bucks a year.  Not a big deal if you are selling seeds, but to pay fifty bucks a year just to trade a few here and there is nuts.  I guess it depends on how much you want to put into your hobby.

Scoville is right on about the move being pushed by big business.  Folk are starting to enjoy we hippie dippie seed savers.  I am sure that bugs Monsanto.

Back