• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

i think i got burned

I bought 4 "carolina reaper" plants at the local community college horticulture sale. They took forever to mature but now are fruiting like crazy. They look nothing like reapers i see online. I had a friend who grows ghost peppers eat one and he said these where the hottest peppers he had ever eaten. I will say however that the juice from inside these devils will make your skin burn lol.
IMG_20151004_094156249_zpsbzsupu08.jpg

Those are definitely NOT Carolina Reapers! Not by a long shot!! They look most possibly like Red Savina (Habaneros). Just do a quick Google image search for 'Red Savina'- you'll see!

The Red Savina was once labeled as the 'World's Hottest Pepper' from 1994-2006 - perhaps how they got the mix up...two 'world's hottest/little red peppers'... who knows (?) It could also simply be another type of red fruiting/red colored Habanero. Beautiful fruits though, they look mighty tasty! 

I got some reaper seeds from another member on here and mine turned out like yours did. I even kept it isolated so there would be no chance of a cross. I feel your disappointment lol  :tear:

I have five red (and a yellow) habs growing and they look very similar to my pods. I would not be dissapointed when them they look great. I've made hot sauce with mine and the taste is wonderful. I have a bowl of milled habs in the fridge and a spoonful goes into most things, fiery little buggers they are  :dance:

Remember no crying in chili growing :) Just be happy with what you harvest! Those are gonna make a fantastic sauce!!!!!! :) lost 6 of my favorite plants this year. But still have some great ones left. Happy with anything I get!!! Hahaha
Bpoole55 said:
I got some reaper seeds from another member on here and mine turned out like yours did. I even kept it isolated so there would be no chance of a cross. I feel your disappointment lol  :tear:
Wow sorry to hear that Bpoole55 usually members are spot on!! I know Tctenten grows reapers he sent me some beautiful pods this year if your still looking try asking him. He's a great guy!!!! Tell em Oldsalty sent ya!!!
:) now buckup fellow chili head!! Hahaha and good luck next season!! :)

Back