• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Identification help

Ok, last question for today. I promise!

I ordered my seeds from www.pepperjoe.com and they send you two free packs with all orders. One of those packs was just labeled "long slim red". It has actually turned out to be my biggest producer and I have no idea what it is. I had assumed it was some sort of thai or cayenne. I just ate one and it seems to have a high water content because it had an upfront flavor of a little bit of sweetness and actually water. After that just a little bitterness with no discernible flavor and very little heat. The more I ate the more seeds I got and the hotter it got but it never really got really hot.

2011-08-16160234.jpg

none of them are long slim cayenne and the small elongated red ones look like Thai red

the bigger yellow ones at the top look a little like "GUERO" chiles (not to say they are)

not sure what the others are, the very bottom ones look like tomatoes

hope this helps
your friend Joe

hahaha, yeah the ones on the bottom are tomatoes. The top ones are banana. I was actually talking about the skinny red ones on the right. I already had that picture and just didn't take another of just the ones in question.

The long red is just some kind of cayenne I'm almost certain. I've grown them now for two years (free seed packs) and have had the same results as you. Great producers, lots of pods. Makes a fine powder for sure.

Well if that is the case that sucks. I was afraid of that all along because I just don't really like the flavor of cayenne. When I took a bite though I was really confused because it didn't taste like what I always knew to be cayenne, it really didn't taste like anything.

I guess it is still worth drying and grinding though just to see.

Back