• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I'm Back! Need advice on what to grow....

After a long, boring and cold winter I'm back for season 4. After almost 24 superhot plants last year and enough peppers to last me 20 years I want to cut down on heat and plants. This year I'm growing only 8 plants. One plant will be the yellow bhut but I want to grow peppers under 100 000 scoville units. What would you guys suggest as some of your favorite non-superhots? I want to grow a few milder chineses with habbish flavor along with the regulars. Heres my list. What would you change?

Seranno
Goatsweed
Thai Dragon
Cumari
super chili
red turks cap
chiero recife
yellow bhut

i always keep a goatsweed or superchili on hand, they are such hearty plants.

you might want to try bulgarian carrot or chapeau de frade(bishop crown) both have unique favour without overwhelming heat and you can get them online at greta's organic gardens out of ottawa.

if you want to be a little more daring you can look at gold bullet habs - they make a nice small container plant and the fruit is small but plentiful(don't believe anything you read about them being far hotter than most habs-not in my experience and i have several plants)

I'd definitely add fresnos and some Numex/Anaheim types for roasting. Theres also lots of great mild/medium Mexican peppers

You might want to consider "Pinquita De Mono" and "Pimenta da Neyde". I grew the Pinquita De Mono last season and really loved them; they gave me a real nice mouth, tongue and lip burn, but nothing that was overwhelming. I have started the Pimenta da Neyde for this season and can't wait to try them. I grow these species for reasons you have already described. I love the barn burners, but every once in a while I like to turn down the heat without sacrificing the flavor.

Personally, Im a HUGE Scotch Bonnett fan. I got some Tobago SB seeds from Cappy last year, and I am growing every single seed this year! lol If you're interested, I can send you a bunch of seeds at the end of the season. I owe ya BIG time anyways! I LOVE that pepper. Its very sweet compared to other SB's, takes a little longer to build, and is just all around "smooth."
OH!!! And dont forget the TS Cardi! Another kick ass pepper!

I love my ahi lemon peppers. A nice hint of heat, but with tons of flavor, plus they are very hardy, easy to grow, and produce like crazy.

I would pass on the common peppers that you can buy in the store and just grow the hard to find peppers that you will never get if your only going with a few plants.

Back