• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground Inground Spacing

Im almost ready to start pulling up sod to make my garden bed at my new house.  Of course I am trying to squeeze as many plants into my available space as I can.  Last year in my raised beds I think I over compacted them a bit, which is why some plants seemed to be out competed and didn't really grow, while others flourished.  They basically each had about 12" of spacing in between plants.

I have this years plans a little more laid out, but still pretty compact.  I am hoping 18" spacing is sufficient.  I have a 36" wide strip of land planned, and am going straight inground.  I am also going to do the same pattern with most everything else in the garden, except plants that obviously need different conditions.

Let me know if I am still pulling them together too tight.  This is not the whole plot btw.  It is really going to be 35' long.

Plant_Layout.jpg

Thanks! Now for drip emitters...  I always used sprayers before.  I would like to use plain ole pressure compensating emitters this go around.  Would 1, 1gph emitter per plant be sufficient?  Should it be placed right next to the stem, or a few inches away?  Would 2, 1/2gph emitters be better?  Ill probably run them for about 2 hours every 3 days.

For the whole garden, I have about a 140ft run with about 150 plants.  From what I read, the average spigot can support about 200-240 gph worth of emitters over about 240ft of 1/2" main line tubing.  I assume the run could be longer with 3/4" mains.

I was just worried that because it just drips, that it would essentially only water a 6" circle around the emitter rather than the whole root structure.  Again, I have never used them though other than in hanging baskets.

muskymojo said:

Agreed.

It's a bit crowded IMO, but not too bad because you're only doing 2 rows. 

This is 20" spacing, with about 4' between the rows...

20150727_100231_zpslljk0oll.jpg

End of season...

20150928_102107_zpslryypdly.jpg

so awesome! a jungle :D

Musky, want to draw to folks attention how your rows are raised lengthwise with the slant of your property.  That has worked excellently here.  Lets the extra water run out of the garden area.  Lots of folk seem to plant on flat land because they have no choice, even then the raised rows help.

Scuba, I go about 18 inches for weed control more than space limitations.  I turn the soil, mulch the hell out of it, and put in established plants.  Still need to do some weeding, but the plants tend to shade out the weeds after a bit when they are that tight.  I am sure I loose some per plant production but it seems to decrease work load.

Thanks for the advice AJ.  I do plan on having raised rows, although I am on fairly flat ground.

Do you guys think the 9" gap between the first row and the grassline will be sufficient to avoid the grass creeping in too much?  I know, it depends on the grass type, but I have no clue what I have.  Its a rental, and I am clueless on my grasses other than my old st augustine at the house I actually own in TX.  Loved that grass btw!  I miss it...  Always a fight to keep it over the neighbors invading bermuda, but well worth it.

Not sure on grass cause I put it between the rows, then mow and let it fly up on the rows.  Never really paid attention to how it works out with the distance, kind of depends on how much mulch I get on a spot.

No drip. Use drip tape. A lot less work setting up and it works good for me. If you change your spacing at another time then you may have to change your emitter set up. Not so with drip tape. No more plugged or finicky emitters for me. Just my fifty cents. I tend to cram my plants in also. "Square foot gardening" anyone? For my superhots I like to put them at least 24" apart. They get branchy and bushy later on in the season. I've used 18" and it works but 24" seems to make them easier to care for and pick. I will have a pair of rows 24" apart with the plants in the paired rows offset from one another. 36" between the pairs of rows for a walkway. That's pretty tight but I make i work. I plant my bell and Italian peppers 18" apart since they have minimal branching and when they do it's more upright.

Back