• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is Aquarium PH down ok instead of Hydro PH down?

I'm runnin low on hydro acid and I'm wondering if there's anything different with aquarium ph down. I have big bottle of that and I don't want to run to the store and pay a lot of money for acid if it's not necessary

Thanks!

thanks man, guy asked the same ? i did and got no good responses. I didnt have the energy to sort through all the pot forums lol. too and a lot of times these guys don't care about what's food safe or not unless they're growing for personal reasons

FiveSix said:
thanks man, guy asked the same ? i did and got no good responses. I didnt have the energy to sort through all the pot forums lol. too and a lot of times these guys don't care about what's food safe or not unless they're growing for personal reasons

I think you'll find that 95% of people on those sites are for personal just like here. When doing things of that nature on a commercial scale, people tend to keep it to themselves :lol:

At least the smart ones.

Txclosetgrower said:
I think you'll find that 95% of people on those sites are for personal just like here. When doing things of that nature on a commercial scale, people tend to keep it to themselves :lol:

At least the smart ones.

you're most likely right, I'll admit it im being lazy today and was making excuses lol.

from what i now........and i guess from what i assume:

the hydro pH down lowers pH with a very mild concentration of Phosphoric Acid (food grade quality to be specific)......if you drink a can of coke....you are drinking a concentration of phosphoric acid far higher than that found in Hydro pH down.....

I do not think Aquarium pH down uses phosphoric acid because you don't want high phosphates in your aquarium.....thats bad for fishes......so i am assuming that another type of acid is used.....doubt very much it is an organic acid...........but whatever the acid type is.......it will have to be very low in concentration and a pH ranging between 4-6.....

the main thing with an acid is to have it dissociate into ions (H+ ions and whatever anion salt remains). The protons will react with your alkali compounds to neutralize them and the anions will remain as a salt in solution, which is in turn beneficial to your plants as they are basically minerals in solution....

to make a long story short......the acid in aquarium pH down will have to be just as mild (or if not milder) as hydro pH down.......and the type of acid should not matter in the case of plants......so there shouldn't be any problems.....

my GH sais it's phosphoric acid, citric acid and ammonium bisulfate. the Aquarium lists just sulfuric acid.

its fine. if anything maybe not as stable as using phos based ph down. if using reticulating systems you may want to keep an eye on ph variance...

You can use any acid like vinegar, lemon juice, pH down(phosphoric acid, or nitric acid) but as Stillz said, keep an eye on the pH

After a little googling, I've read that the proper dilution is 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water to lower the ph of the soil. My sources are...erm questionable though.

SnakeDoc said:
After a little googling, I've read that the proper dilution is 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water to lower the ph of the soil. My sources are...erm questionable though.

It's too general. You have to know what pH your tap water has. The only way to figure this out is measuring.

Back