• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is this a decent entry level light?

Just bought this light to get my plants going... will be moving outside in April. Has anyone used this light or similar and what are you thoughts? After reading around the forum it seems like an HLG may be the way to go..

I'm willing to invest in a better setup, this one was available on prime so I could get things rolling this week. If it's a bust i'll send it back when a new one arrives.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0185OLBPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the help as always!

- Bub

For starting plants indoors you can just use simple shop lights like that you find at home depot / lowes / costco. like this
You don't have to buy fancy grow lights

that being said, if you want to grow a plant indoors all the way to fruit. the stronger lights are better.
mars hydro and hlg are pretty well respected brands on amazon.
I like just using full spectrum white lights as burple gives me eye cancer (not really but u get what i mean)

Thanks again for the reply Juanitos.

I am considering trying to grow a plant to fruit indoors.. since that would give me a solid 5x5 more of grow space. I'd use this light for about 2x3. Do you think this light would be up to the task?

My main focus is to try and see how my balcony does this summer, so it seems this light is plenty capable of that. As a backup, it would be nice to be able to have some smaller plants indoors.

So.. after rethinking my setup (and letting Hot Pepper fever calm down) - I am going to return the burple light. I ordered an HLG-100 and already prepped the return label for the above light i listed. 

I've got an indoor area of about 2x4, so hopefully I can utilize that if I run out of space. 

I've been following your posts, Bub, and I see you are in Nashville, new to growing, and pretty limited on space. The Googler tells me that there are about half a dozen community gardens in Nashville. Have you considered getting a plot at one of them?

I grow at a CG near me and it has been such a huge help. Extra slave, and experienced gardeners who offer great advice. $20/year. I love it.

Sorry if this is presumptuous; I'm just trying to think of other solutions to your space issues.

Bicycle808 - That's an awesome idea! Not presumptuous at all, I'm here for the help, so thanks!

At the very least it will take the pressure off of my indoor/balcony plants and give me more room to experiment, meet some other growers. I'm going to look into some gardens in the area and I'll report back.

I'm getting my GLOG together for 2019 and will post it with my plans this weekend.

Thanks again!

bubspeppers said:
Just applied to a community garden about 5 minutes away -- might be a winner!
That's awesome; sounds very promising. You can still grow on your balcony, and you can do larger scale stuff at the CG. Win/win situation, for sure. Most all of these gardens have guidelines and rules, which I don't mind at all, but that's about the only thing I've ever heard my fellow gardeners complain about. Some of these ppl don't want to keep their grow quasi-organic. Oh, that and produce theft. Apparently, some folks have been victimized by that. (Hasn't been a problem for me, I guess bc my local thieves don't eat anything too spicy; I did find a chewed-up/spit-out Paper Lantern Hab one time. Kinda funny.) I don't understand that though bc most of the gardeners are generous with their excess produce, and very willing to trade...

I suspect you're going to have some fun at the community garden, though. I'll check your GLOG out and see how it goes for you...

Back