• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Is this yeast? Mold?

Hi everyone, this is a vacuum bag ferment i started on 15 sept. It’s a 3% salt with habanero. Anyone know if this white deposit is normal and safe for consumption? I have 2 bag with this sort of white liquid at the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_2803.jpeg
    IMG_2803.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 170
Whenever I fermented in a vacuum bag this same thing happened to me. I have no idea what it was. I ate the ferment and I'm still alive and no more stupid than I was before eating it 😅
Now I prefer to ferment in boats with an airlock, it seems safer to me. However, I try to wash the peppers extremely well before starting the ferment.

The gunk at the bottom is most likely dead lactobacillus. Have a look at the most recent Chillichump video on youtube - he has a jar ferment with the same slime stuff at the bottom (11:27).

If this is a vacuum bag ferment and you sucked out the air, it's highly unlikely to be mold.

Last edited:
The gunk at the bottom is most likely dead lactobacillus. Have a look at the most recent Chillichump video on youtube - he has a jar ferment with the same slime stuff at the bottom (11:27).
Good catch. I didn’t notice the slime on the bottom, but the jars i fermented and turned into sauce today (different post ) had a slime at the bottom too.

thx everyone, i did end up making a sauce out of it and it was not all that bad. the ferment had a little smell to it, kinda like sausage or eggs but nothing too unpleasant. maybe that was kahm yeast after all. I preferred my ferments into mash and fido lock jar. it taste more like pickled pepper.

Back