• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Isolating for pure seed

AlabamaJack said:
You empty the tea bag, make a nice cup of tea, sit there with a BB gun and guard the flowers from any insect...cover one eye with the empty teabag if you want more of a challenge...

***my attempt at humor this morning***

A 12 gauge with birdshot could be more interesting though:twisted::lol:

I know it's not good etiquette to resurrect dead threads, but I thought those of us in the northern hemisphere would be looking into trying to isolate for next year.

I'd like a simple way to do this. Where can I purchase tulle? Hardware store? Craft shop? Fabric store? Gardening center?

I'll be isolating at least 2 peppers on every plant so I can get pure seeds for next year, and I may try some cross breeds!

Hey I picked up a piece of tully at wal mart for 35 cents in the remnents stack Thats what I am going to use to isolate mine. I was think about building a cage out of pvc pipe and cover each plant after removing all the pods that was there but then I said what a waste of pod juice. So I am going with a branch here and there and tie yarn or something around branch.

Im actually quite interested in this because I have a very small area with about 21 plants and if I can find a way to GUARANTEE a way to have pure seeds for next year, I'm all for. I thought you could actually buy tea bags that had the string and everything but also had the opening in the top so you could like make your own. If so, that would be quite slick to get some of those to use. Is tulle that material used for wedding vails and such?

UPDATE: Check this out. I did some searching and found exactly what I was talking about. These things would work perfectly ill bet.
http://www.herbalremedies.com/muslin-bag.html

I have a small closet that I'm using to grow indoors with and may go with a hydro setup at one time or another. Currently I have about 6 various plants, but next year if I started ONLY 1 variety and grew them all out from seed and left ONLY that one variety in the closet would it be safe to say the seeds in the pods will be "pure" or do I still have to cover the flowers some how.

Well I know you dont want to save seeds from diseased plants so I would say if all plants look good and healthy than keep seeds from the best pod(s) from the best plant(s).

Well all my plants that are in my little garden are starting to flower and I think this weekend I will be picking up some of those bags and be "tea bagin" my plants. lol

I will keep you all posted how it all goes.

Lace cloths works perfect!!

C.rhomboideum

img8214.jpg

Back