• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Isolation technique

Hey guys,

I recently saw this cool video where a grower taped his flowers shut to isolate and prevent cross pollination. Any other info on this method? It'd be nice to learn how to do this, seems worthy of being tried and tested.

thanks

-Quezada

It's hard to know when to glue / tape them, if you do it too soon the plant will just drop it. 

"The nice weather in Florida let me to try this technique over the winter. I just used plain old Elmer's glue. My first couple tries didn't go so well and I lost most of the caps. After a few adjustments, things are getting better. Here a few points that worked for me - I know some have already been mentioned:
- Don't apply the glue until the bud is fully mature and a day or two from opening. Any earlier and it will drop the bud. 
- Use a small amount of glue on the end of the bud - just enough to keep the petals from opening. When I encapsulated the entire bud, it dropped every time. This might be because Elmer's is not as elastic, as mentioned in a previous post, or maybe it's a lack of air. 
- I had much greater success (in the 90% range) with this method on smaller flowered varieties...but can't explain why. 
- I also had more luck when I culled some of the other buds. It seemed to encourage the plant to set fruit on my isolated flowers.
I don't keep tons of seed so I typically glue several buds on different branches and/or plants and count on 50-75% actually setting fruit."

i like the method of using tulle. You just bag a branch, shake it a few times, or pollenate with a Qtip. 
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2005025852004159.html

Back