• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Issue with seedling

Some of my seedlings have become limp and have some odd leaf shapes. It is not just a certain species of pepper, but random plants with in the greenhouse.

Here are some photos to show you what i'm talking about. I had aphids on them so I sprayed them with Neem oil 2 tsp. per gallon. So let me know what you guys think!

13789033205_fd48120f87_b.jpg

13789053743_055305f49f_b.jpg

Looks eerily like the leaves I had abut a month ago that were infested with broad mites. If it's not that, then give it a touch of CalMag

Agree - mites. But not necessarily broad mites, as they tend to suck holes in the middle of more fully-grown leaves (hence the name "broad".)  You often can't see mites with the bare human eye - a jeweler's loupe of 30x will help though.

Unfortunately the ones that have them that badly are unlikely to pull through. Mites not only suck the contents of cells, but also inject a lovely chemical that pretty much trashes the plant. Toss the ones that are affected into ziploc bags and seal well before trashing to ensure the little buggers can't escape. The ones that don't seem impacted yet need to get doused with insecticidal soap several times. Spray both surfaces of each leaf and also the stem. Repeat, repeat, repeat over the next several days. 

Sorry to see this, and hope you can start some new ones with better results.

Did you fertilize them? It looks like you did, by that squiggly in there. Back off on ferts until they are bigger

I used a new fert on them, only thing I've been able to find are aphids. 

Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to quarantine the ones I find that have symptoms and raise them to see how they do.

Wow... 4-4-2...... doesn't seem very strong. I've seen my young plants look like that after using MG on them. It's almost like the plant tries to grow faster than it can support, so it's starts looking all squiggly like that. I'm assuming you're growing in good, fertile soil to begin with, so maybe adding the ferts sent it over the edge. I'm willing to bet that it's being overfed. I've only seen leaves present like that after too much nutes. The good news is that it will recover and be just fine. Just hold off on ferts until it straightens out.

I think you may have a point man, my seedlings were lagging behind a ton because i was just using fish ferts on them until I found this stuff. so it may be the plants trying to catch up?

And the other folks might be onto something with the mites. I don't have experience with them, but it seems they do, so I'd heed their warnings as well. Back off on nutes for one, and second, take their advice to protect against mites.

It's either broad mites or herbicide damage, like 2,4-D. Most of my plants looked like that last spring. I sprayed tons of neem on them to no avail. Then I sent samples in to a plant disease diagnostics clinic - found zero mites. The plants just grew out of it after I trimmed off most of the affected tissue.
     The toxin that broad mites inject into plants (that geeme mentioned) have identical effects on pepper plants as a low dose of 2,4-D. Both chemicals also locate themselves to the meristems - where the heaviest damage is seen in both cases. They can be very difficult to tell apart without a loupe or strong magnifying glass. 
     Find out what is causing the problem and in the mean time, quarantine your plants and trim as much of the affected tissue as you can and dispose of it in the garbage. Good luck! Don't give up on 'em yet!

Yeah, it looks like the plants are trying to "catch up". It looks like impatience to me! lol.... I've been there, man. If you feel like you HAVE to fertilize, dilute it down! I have some plumerias that act the same way after a good fertilization.... the leaves get all misshapen because it's too much at once. And the younger they are, the more it affects them. There's just not enough plant there to distribute it all to, so it send the nutes to the new growth and they get all 'tarded  on ya!

dash 2 said:
     It's either broad mites or herbicide damage, like 2,4-D. Most of my plants looked like that last spring. I sprayed tons of neem on them to no avail. Then I sent samples in to a plant disease diagnostics clinic - found zero mites. The plants just grew out of it after I trimmed off most of the affected tissue.
     The toxin that broad mites inject into plants (that geeme mentioned) have identical effects on pepper plants as a low dose of 2,4-D. Both chemicals also locate themselves to the meristems - where the heaviest damage is seen in both cases. They can be very difficult to tell apart without a loupe or strong magnifying glass. 
     Find out what is causing the problem and in the mean time, quarantine your plants and trim as much of the affected tissue as you can and dispose of it in the garbage. Good luck! Don't give up on 'em yet!

Well, see now we have a scientific analysis to think about!

I'll get the microscope out tomorrow and get some samples to see if I can find anything! Can plants effected by mites come back? i'LL KEEP THE QUARANTEENED OF COURSE BUT JUST WONDERING?

Sorry about the caps wasn't looking while typing!

Buzz said:

Well, see now we have a scientific analysis to think about!

Yup! Thinking scientifically saved my crop last year. I was in a panic (thinking I had broad mites) and was ready to spend about $100 on miticide before my wife ( a plant pathologist) talked me into getting some samples looked at. Since zero mites were found, I still needed to figure out what the hell was stunting my plants. I mean I had 2' tall OWs that COMPLETELY stalled growth on EVERY shoot! AAAAAAHH!!!
     So I cooled down and did some reading. Figured it was herbicide that some dickhead neighbor probably sprayed on a windy day. All I needed to do was trim off the affected foliage to remove the majority of the chemical from the plants' systems, and… BINGO! Problem solved, very cheaply and easily. Plants started growing again. Bumper crop season! BOOOYA!
     I like to think that the money I saved by not buying expensive miticides was better spent on the hhwhiskeyt U'm drinkn raaaaht nau!!!11!!
LawrenceJ2007 said:
Can plants effected by mites come back? 

I think so. It'll be hard, tho. Talk to elcap1999, he's a veteran broad mite warrior.

That looks EXACTLY like stunting caused by growth regulator herbicides - dicamba, 2,4-D etc. In high doses, they stop all growth in plants - to the point where they just die. In low doses, they cause the weird growth you're seeing - small, misshapen  leaves; curled margins; squiggly mid veins. 
     Has anyone near you (dickhead neighbor, city crew, railroad MOW crew) been spraying herbicides recently? These herbicides are pretty potent - to the point that it doesn't even take liquid droplets or even aerosol to affect plants. Even just the vapors from them can cause damage like you're seeing. Keep your eyes peeled around your neighborhood for freshly killed weeds, you may find your perpetrator. 
     My neighborhood has a lot of brick sidewalks. Shortly after I came to the conclusion that I was seeing herbicide drift damage, I put 2 and 2 together and realized that my peppers started stalling shortly after my next-door neighbor's sidewalk became weed-free.  :confused:

Neighbors behind us have been burning brush, that may have herbicide on it. I have found no mites on them at all. So how can I get them back to normal?

Back