• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Jerky

Okay Lucky, another review for GLBJ. Disclaimer: I am a spare (opinionated) chile-head with taste-buds that may be defective. So, grain of salt.

Once again, nice maneuverable, simple website. Prices fare, shipping reasonable. Shipping time - FAST (been like 3 days both times). Packaging is perfect. Very strong resealable bags. But what about the product?!!

Garlic Parmesan - this stuff is great. By the way, all six flavors that I've tried have similar size and consistency. I like that. Consistency is king in the food biz. If they ever entered Zestfest, I would know their stuff right away (blindly). The jerky is a touch drier and lighter than more commercial products but that is a good thing... no sappy fillers or gunk. Okay, Garlic Parmesan... it doesn't really taste "garlicky", but I think I prefer that. I do taste parmesan or some type of spice that mimics it. This stuff is nice and savory - excellent. When I finish the bag off (tomorrow?), I will weep.

A Bit Spicy - my first thought, seeing this on the site was, "I don't like the name... what is it? A bit spicy? What kind of spice? Latin? Asian? Superhot? " But, after sampling, it's actually very accurate. It adds a nice heat that lingers a bit. I don't know what the flavor is. It's good, for sure. I still think it needs more identity.

Teriyaki - this is a flavor that the Jack Links of the world also sell, as was the ground pepper flavor. The pepper flavor separated itself, clearly "best of class". For this flavor, I thought it was okay.... a "B". Yes, there's teriyaki, but the accompanying spice profile steers you toward the taste of the spice packets that come with instant (Asian) noodles. It's not a "bright" taste. Hey, if all I did was gush about everything, I'd have no credibility. Maybe it will grow on me as I finish off the bag.

So, if I were to rank the (excellent!) products:

1) Garlic Parmesan
2) PRD
3) Pepper Grinder
4) A Bit Spicy
5) Jamaican Jerk
6) Teriyaki

and I will be ordering again... they need some sort of incentive program, lol, points or something.

drP
:mope:

I have been making jerky myself and selling it to friends at work. Its really easy.
I make mine with black pepper, cayenne, jalapeno and serrano, dried habanero, smoked habanero, smoked ghost chili, and trinidad scorpion powders. I also make a teryaki and an A-1 based marinade usually sprinkled with the hot stuff. I am looking to grow my operation from a hobby to possibly a real business.

Everyone at work seems to love the stuff at $10 a 1/2 lb, 20 a lb, and for the trinidad scorpion $15 and $30 respectively.It lasts them less than a week for a pound bag...lol

If you're considering going pro, you should reach out to someone like GLJ (the jerky discussed above) for advice - last time we hung out he told me some stories about working with the USDA that sounded brutal.

They're apparently a very difficult organization/authority to do business under.

Back