• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JSS Unstable Grow Log

sp33d said:
I must ask for my sake of trying to learn...if you graft a hab onto a bhut..what will be the end result? Is this the same as cross pollinating? Thanks for educating me.. ;)
There is some controversy here I must admit. 99x out of 100 you will end up with a bhut that has a branch that grows habanero peppers. However, very rarely (under a very controlled set of circumstances), and in a handful of academic studies something cool happened. At the joint where the hab was grafted onto the bhut, a new limb came out that grew a stable intermediary variety. No 8 generations of growing out required. isolated seed always grew true.

But I've only found three references to it happening, and only two from the last hundred years.

Maybe capsicum species are just not that often grafted. Or maybe its extemely rare... But I intend to do a bunch of grafting and find out.

Also I ate my first reaper today on a little totino's pizza. It was good... A supreme pizza, with added goat cheese and reaper.

Those things are hot. a whole pod left my face burning and my nose running (a blessing for which I'm grateful) for quite some time. I can still feel it burning as it moves around through my body.

Well another week has passed and no datils. I'm beginning to wonder about the soil I've used. I snagged a dixie cup full from a planter on campus. Thinking now I need to actually buy some. Will post back.

Gotta love getting stuff for free. I was in the hort program back in college so anytime I wanted to grow or get stuff, I had good free stuff available. How have they been coming along?

Did you get the BG7 seeds?

Welcome back to the glogosphere, Ken!  You have quite an ambitious plan for
your grafting project, my friend!  It will be fun to see how that goes.  I remember
a lot of grafting interest a couple of seasons ago, but have sort of lost track of
those threads/glogs.  Looks like cool stuff, can't wait to see the photos when
they get going.

Getting ready to grind/blend a few powders; season here is winding down, but
there will be a few pods ripening up here and there.  Good luck getting everything 
off the ground - my Datil seeds took 12 and 17 days to pop.  One that didn't survive
went 25 days.  Keep the faith, brother!

PaulG said:
Welcome back to the glogosphere, Ken!  You have quite an ambitious plan for
your grafting project, my friend!  It will be fun to see how that goes.  I remember
a lot of grafting interest a couple of seasons ago, but have sort of lost track of
those threads/glogs.  Looks like cool stuff, can't wait to see the photos when
they get going.

Getting ready to grind/blend a few powders; season here is winding down, but
there will be a few pods ripening up here and there.  Good luck getting everything 
off the ground - my Datil seeds took 12 and 17 days to pop.  One that didn't survive
went 25 days.  Keep the faith, brother!
So shortly after this post, there was an emergency in my pastors family, and I moved back to florida. I tried to transport my starts, but they never recovered between the shock of transport, and probably the climate differences between FL and NC. One survived for a little while, but quit growing all together. It is in a south window in my garage (the coolest place besides my house I could put it) with a couple fans keeping the air gently moving. Any way to make a long story shorter, I am now the full time pastor, and am still a student, just finishing more slowly.

I started another batch shortly after getting home but in the chaos of everything I neglected the starts and all but three died. The names washed off the segments of the blinds that I had used to mark them, and so its a mystery grow. Will take some pictures soon. One looks like an annum with absolutely massive leaves. The others look like chinense. Planning to position graft them when I pot them up in the next couple weeks.

In the mean time, a HUGE thank you to Denniz and PaulG for helping keep my food hot the last couple years, Denniz with seeds and PaulG with peppers. I got a box from Jamie while in NC as well.

Finally, I got a couple boxes of peppers. This first box is from Toby Tyler of heavenly harvest farms. He's a good guy, labeled EVERYTHING (which I love), and included a small bottle of hotsauce (more on that in a minute). I got about 30 pods of 25 different varieties. All of them arrived in excellent shape - he even had a few varieties that aren't on my list. I was impressed. Here is a picture of what was in the box (after I de-seeded the peppers) including his card and website info.
10985872_10200644913923156_4245890925397766171_n.jpg

The hotsauce was good, I had some with my eggs, on some bacon, on a hotdog, on some hot wings, on I think everything I've eaten since I got the box a couple days ago. The bottle is half gone now. It has a good flavor that really showcases the flavor of the peppers that are inside of it (superhots). Its not as hot as I was expecting, but frankly I think thats ok. It has a quick punch to the back of the throat, and then a slow low burn for the next half hour or so. Its good. The heat does build with the amount of the stuff you use, so I imagine you could light yourself up with it. But I digress. Well Done!

The next box (of four, two have arrived so far) was from Stephen aka Ignite. He's been a great guy to deal with as well. Peppers weren't labeled but he I'd them all for me from the pictures that follow.
11406420_10200644697037734_8043993874215963867_o.jpg

Starting with Yellows - Ice Scream, Yellow Primo, and Yellow Lava.
The browns are: chocolate Bhutlah, Big Black Mama, chocolate brainstrain, douglah x Chocolate Butch T Scorpion, chocolate Bhut Jolokia.
Finally the reds are: .7 pot wes, 7 pot katie, caramel moruga, 7 pot lucy, 007 red, and bubblegum 7
Most of these were ones I didn't have, so I am happy even with fewer peppers.

Alright folks, I'm going to go find some asprin, and something to eat some more of that hot sauce on :)

Not meaning to jack your thread, but just wanted to give a thumbs up to Heavenly Harvest Farms, since I haven't seen them get much mention here on THP. They are a classy operation with some nice stuff.

I've had their Holy Ghost sauce, and i would put it up there on the flavor scale with the best of them. Grew some plants out from seeds I took out of their pods, and they are my best growers this year.

LS929 said:
Gotta love getting stuff for free. I was in the hort program back in college so anytime I wanted to grow or get stuff, I had good free stuff available. How have they been coming along?

Did you get the BG7 seeds?
Yes I did thank you!

Planning to get some started after the fourth (will be out of town for the fourth).

Welcome back, again, Ken     :welcome:      :clap:

Good to see you've been well taken care of, my friend!

Looking forward to your grow this season, especially the grafting projects!.

Yes yes yes, So far (I think I mentioned it) I only have three plants, and two I'm planning to graft - an annuum to a chinense. Ideally I'm going to put a sprout of some type in the middle of it all. Maybe a fructescense. Should be an interesting plant if nothing else.

This statement alone has a lot of craziness and missing info bro. I know how out of control life can get. Glad you're alright and taking on some big things bro.

jsschrstrcks said:
So shortly after this post, there was an emergency in my pastors family, and I moved back to florida. I tried to transport my starts, but they never recovered between the shock of transport, and probably the climate differences between FL and NC. One survived for a little while, but quit growing all together. It is in a south window in my garage (the coolest place besides my house I could put it) with a couple fans keeping the air gently moving. Any way to make a long story shorter, I am now the full time pastor, and am still a student, just finishing more slowly.

yeah - some stories shouldn't be shared in their entirety in public. Needless to say his family is struggling, and so he's doing the right thing by taking care of them.

As to the peppers, I'm guessing wildly. The only thing that I've seen that was even close to this was a few years back when my garden was flooded with salt water. The topsoil and nutes were washed away. Fertilizer didn't help, bringing in some new, better soil didn't help. it just lingered for a couple of years looking kinda yellow and then produced a pod and died.

I'm excited about where the Lord is leading me, and love that I'm going to be able to grow some peppers again.

Made a trade with Pex for some of his sauce. Not only did he send the sauce he'd agreed to, but two extra bottles besides. I absolutely loved two, and really like the third.

First up is Taco Fuego. It has an excellent Taco flavor, and I am planning to make some enchiladas so I can have a chance to use this stuff on one. The serano peppers give it a gentle heat that is great for the beginner or someone whose not sure about hot sauces in general. I cant imagine anyone not liking it from a flavor perspective, and this superhot lover enjoyed it as well. Clearly it has something to offer every level of sauce lover.

Second up was the flyin lion. This is probably my favorite of the three saucea. I've had the sauce since sunady night, and have consumed over half the bottle. It has a good kick from the habanaro peppers which are complemented by just a hint of mango. It enhances the taste of the pepper without hiding it.

Finally was singularity. I like this one a lot as well. It has a significant amount of heat. My nephew described it is being punched in the face. I think thats probably an exageration... However it IS HOT. The honey isn't lost, and does accentuate the flavors of the peppers.

All in all I rate all three of them 5 stars out of 5.

So to update you guys - why I suddenly went dark. My pastor in Florida had an emergency to deal with out of state, and he was going to close the church. I volunteered to fill the gap. the church voted unanimously to ordain me, and call me as their pastor. Thus basically ending my growing season; but giving me a full time job in addition to full time classes. Lets just say I've been swamped, and have dropped down to part time.

This year, I've got two plants going - they were from OP seed. One appears to be a moruga cross, and the other a paper lantern cross. Neither are particularly hot. Both are c.chinense in growth habit. The Moruga (I don't have any good pictures) has one pedicel. But the P.L. has two. both are surprisingly mild. The PL is actually just about the perfect heat to pop in your mouth while you're in the garden working.

The Moruga is really struggling, I've gotten three peppers from it all season. The Aji PL has produced probably 60, and about 20 on the clone I made. The clone is in a container thats a bit too small, thus the lower production.

ALSO I'm considering selling, or trading pollen with people that are interested in making hybrids... once dried, and if refrigerated, it should last for up to six months. Could be interesting. Pictures to follow.

Here is my 2016 grow list:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t10tl9viypf21pu/pepper%20list.txt

Ok just kidding. thats my seed list. Still working out my grow list... Any suggestions?

OK so I started a few seeds.

two of them are mystery peppers - because the marker rubbed off the baggie.
Mystery 1 and mystery Bag #4 (because the only thing on the bag was the #4).

(7pot Jonah x PDN) x Trinidad Scorpion
Choc Brazil Ghost x Red Bhut
7Pot BBG Bhutlah
7Pot Chaguanas
Borg9
Billy Boy Douglah

Still working out the rest of my grow... Tell you what, if you correctly guess which of these pops first, then I'll send the winner some seeds of their choice from my list (see earlier post).

Back