• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Just another fermented question

Hello everyone,

This is only my 2nd attempt at fermentation.

First attempt was a mess to say the least but came out. No real planning or understanding

This time I mixed up a 3% brine and chopped up the peppers in reasonably sized chunks.

I have seen it releasing gas but Since I do not have a weight I have been every other day or so gently pushing the top floating peppers below the brine and then closing it back up and storing it again.

This marks 1 week marker, I plan on going for 2 more weeks for a 3 week total. Thoughts?

b7d4939bded102249b77f56e832845fa.jpg
eb01af023e4de8f2aee9e08657dee36e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt any ferment in a glass jar tossed in the fridge improves a little more over time. Ive got kimchi over a year old that is phenomenal. Some of my best sauces are pushing a year plus in bottles or Mason jars. Oak aged barrels are surely excellent. BliS Blast is a rocking barrel aged sauce but they are not just any old barrels either.

I do my initial ferment at room temp. Finish in the fridge. Add other stuff like vinegar when processing and let it age another week in the fridge. Once you hit 3.6pH or lower the lacto activity goes way down. Its not gunna pop a Mason jar in the fridge if the pH is low enough.

Then pasteurize, strain if needed and bottle. Fermentation will cease but the sauce may continue to improve depending on the length of actual ferment.

Back