event KCBS Sponsored Backyard event in So Cal

Yeah that's the good thing about So Cal. Although the weather gets a little colder I have comps scheduled to judge on Dec 31 and Jan 1 at a local amusement park. Several well known teams are making the commute because valuable TOY points are at stake.

Did you get to judge any of the Sam's Club tour stops this year? I don't know where all that tour went, but there was a stop in a suburb of KC. With out a doubt I gave out the highest average scores I ever have in each meat....

I think I was considering going to one of the earlier Sam's event this year in Las Vegas, but decided to pass because there was a local event a lot closer to home. I think I should have made the trek because as I recall my table had to disqualify 2 entries on the first turn in!! Can you believe a team actually spelled out BBQ with their garnish in the box??

That's funny!! Must have been a first contest team. I've had to DQ a few, but nothing like that! I take that back- we did have a team turn in the wrong meat one time. That had to suck!! But that's why we started off judging, and then went to cooking. My mom and step-dad had their master judge badges, and I had 20+ contests judged before we even began working on our recipes for cooking the contests. It is paying off!!! We should be in the BullSheet once, if not twice in the next issue. :lol:

Good luck on the comps I know for sure you will have a huge advantage by judging that many comps. I still can't believe that most competitors don't judge first. It's just silly to compete and not know what a judge wants before you spend all that money competing. I know a long time competitor who's gotten very frustrated after 5 years and has not received a top 5 call ever. Sadly he just started judging and is even worse. He's so dead set on turning in what he "thinks" is good Q and judging down if it doesn't taste like his. I just don't understand the logic. The sad part is he's well known for his catering skills and has even been on Pit-Masters. I keep telling him to toss that fruit glaze on his ribs. Surprisingly he insist they are a hit and did them for the show and got knocked pretty bad and sent home as a result. Some people just refuse to learn.

Yeah, unfortunately I know the type! I've had judges tell me that they take a point away if the parsley garnish sticks to the meat!!! I about gagged on my saltines! :shocked: As a cook I felt offended. One judge taking away one point is a huge difference, especially in bigger contests. If one judge at our 2nd contest had given us one more point in texture we'd have finished almost $200 richer.

That's why a lot of the bigger cooks will always be heard griping about the judges!

Well I blame the KCBS rep allowing "VIP or Guest" judges. I hate when they allow them guys to judge after a 30 min discussion on what to look for. I would be livid If I got 8's and 9's from the table and had to swallow getting a lonely 6 and no comment card only to find out it was from a "VIP" who wasn't even certified. Here in CA teams got together and protested and said they would not enter a contest that allowed VIP's and didn't have 100% certified judging. Although we still have some issues with "opinions" it's a LOT better as a result.

Luckily VIP judges aren't all that common around here, but I agree they should be a deal breaker. All of the other rules are incredibly enforced, I don't see why that should be any different. I always thought it would be much easier (and better for the competition) if the contest rep just found a few teams that would make an extra box for the VIP judges table that wouldn't be scored. At least not in the same contest as the rest of the teams.

I wish around here there was enough organization for the teams to make a statement like that. In my town of 12,ooo people there are 4 teams that regularly compete, plus another 3 or 4 groups that will occasionally put a team together. Even if we tried to boycott those contests with the VIP judges, there would be a line of teams who just didn't care...

Back