• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Lets get the party started

Well today I finally got out to a local nursery and home depot to get the final supplies for my plants this season ( I always say final, and I know I'll end up buying others as well, but lets pretend they're the 'final' ). I got some 5 gallon buckets at the depot for $2.30 a bucket, compared to almost a $5.00 plastic pot that holds less. Besides all that, I finally decided to get my hands on more organic types of fertilizer, in which I have a question. I got some worm castings, dehydrated manure & humus as well as some blood meal. My question is, when making my soil for my potted plants, would all 3 of these be overkill for mixing in with the soil? I know that blood meal is very high in nitrogen, so I may just add a pinch mixed in for the final potting up, or just dilute with water and fertilize like normal. Let me know any thoughts/opinions as I have never used any of these. Thanks
CIMG0109.jpg

Also, ordered myself a bag of 60 organza bags from ebay for $4 bucks, really simple stuff. Gonna try my luck this year on blossom bagging and saving seed, hope it works out.
CIMG0111.jpg

I think you can use like a half a cup per gallon in your pots and be safe. Just follow the instructions on the bag and you will be good.

My rule of thumb on all fertilizers. "Less is more" I don't think peppers need much fertilizer at all and it always amazes me that pretty much anything works. Good aerated soil like Pro-Mix can certainly help.

You may wanna consider using the Bone Meal instead of the blood meal as it would also provide a good source of calcium along with the organic ferts.

BTW did the worm castings come from the Home Depot?

Yeah, I picked up some bone meal as well today. The only reason I got blood was because it had higher nitrogen, and I'm actually not sure what phosphorus does for plants particularly in peppers. No, the worm castings came from a local nursery, I wish they could come from depot, the manure did though and it was cheap.

IMO the worm castings and manure are enough and the blood meal is not necessary. It is very high in N and if you use too much you could end up with big plants and few peppers. Worm casting have a low NPK, but is a wonderful amendment. Bone meal is great for P which helps with roots and flower production and also has calcium which peppers need a lot of. If you do use the blood meal, I would use very little of it early in the season just for a jump start.

Good luck!
jacob

Yeah, I'm thinking the blood meal would be too much N for the peppers, on top of their regular fertz and soil additives, so I'll most likely stick with the bone meal instead of blood.

Well not all of my plants are outside, only 6 are and they havent been mixed with any of the organic stuff. I'll do this when I put them in their final home for the summer in about 20 or so days. You can check out my older pics (of my indoor plants) from over a week ago if you'd like on this thread: http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?17803-Rootbounding-plants...on-purpose

Those are without any fertz, I can take some updated pics soon as the plants put in bigger pots now are going crazy

Also, with the limited amount of space I have I dont have as nearly as many as you, I'd like to but with full time school and work etc its difficult even maintaining what I have as it is :(

Straticus said:
Also, with the limited amount of space I have I dont have as nearly as many as you, I'd like to but with full time school and work etc its difficult even maintaining what I have as it is :(

I hear ya! Let me tell you that I sure didn't expect this many plants to take off! The only reason I have the time is because I work 7 days on and get the next 7 off. What I'm really worried about is where the heck am I going to place all of them when it's time for the 5 gallon buckets! :doh:

I think I have found someone who wants to take my goats for the summer to clear out her property in the backyard. Sure can't have those buggers running around eating all my hard work. They would end up taking a dirt nap really quick!

I wish you the best of luck this growing season and look forward to seeing pics of your pepper plants when they are all settled.

Back