• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Light Burning Seedlings

I recently purchased a grow light from amazon it is a T5 2 ft four tube high output fluorescent grow light. The light puts out 6800 lumens and here is some more info if needed:
Product Description
T5 Fluorescent Light System
4-lamp
120v/60Hz
0.74A
89W

Is this light too powerful for seedlings? I put it about 2 inches above some seedlings and it seemed to burn them all up. If i use CFL lights until the seedlings grow their first true leaves will i be able to position the light and inch or two above them? I know someone will say i should just raise the light but i didnt know how much to raise it and still benefit from it. I also cant burn anymore seeds up i just dont have enough seeds to spare and i cant stand seeing anymore burn to hell.

What are the dimensions of it. Depending on the reflectiveness of the fixture, and the dispersion of the light, you would be able to figure out how high above the seedlings to keep it. I keep em about 3-4 inches myself and use T5s as well. What all do you have going on for ventilation? Good air circulation will help the plants out, and will help to regulate the light temps too. Another possibility is to keep an eye on the moisture. The littleist bit of drying out will hurt the seedlings quick. Until they have about 2-3 sets of true leaves I usually check em twice a day and mist em with a spray bottle daily, and water the dirt 2-3 times a week.

Hope this helps. I know everybody does it differently, but this has worked for me. I have lost many a seedling in leaning things along the way. Sucks to lose em, but trial and error is great because you never forget once youve made a mistake.

Thanks guys I decided to remove the emergency blanket move it up four inches and add a fan and also use cfl bulbs until true leaves show. Thanks again.

Back