lighting Lighting solutions for extended power outages?

I live in central Virginia and we're currently in the bullseye of a serious snowstorm; we're expecting as much as 20" between now and Sunday.  That being said, I have dozens and dozens of seeds I'm trying to start in a grow tent.  I'm thinking the easy solution would be to find a good window to set them in but I'm afraid that if the power is out the window area will not be warm enough for them.  Would I be able to leave them alone for a few days (the average amount of time our power goes out is 3 days) or will I need to do something with them in order to save them?  I've put a lot of work into them so far and it would suck to have to start over again.

Any kind of solution or positive words would be appreciated!

Window light maybe. Or of course a generator. A couple of days without light won't really hurt the plants, but I it will slow them down along with the cold.

They should be fine, even if they are not right close to a window but if you leave a window open to let some light in. I'd be more concerned about my pipes bursting than my plants lol. If you have extended power outages maybe it is time to consider getting a generator and back feeding it., at least keep your furnace and fridge running.

natural light will hold them over for the few days your lights are out. i have noticed that when the soil temperature drops to low it has a big impact on the development of my seedlings

OKGrowin said:
if you have a fireplace that you'll be using if power is out you can set them by it.
The grow tent itself is already in the same room as a woodstove, the window in that room isn't a viable option.  Would heat be more important than light at the early germ stage?

zantrax said:
They should be fine, even if they are not right close to a window but if you leave a window open to let some light in. I'd be more concerned about my pipes bursting than my plants lol. If you have extended power outages maybe it is time to consider getting a generator and back feeding it., at least keep your furnace and fridge running.
I didn't even consider the generator, I usually only run it during summer outages to keep my freezers and fridge running.  I dunno if I have any gas...too late now.  Crap.  There's already about 3 maybe 4 inches on the ground.

If they haven't germinated put them on top of your hot water cylinder.  Thermal inertia should keep it warm for a few days after the power goes out.  It won't do them any favors but even seedling with true leaves will be ok in the dark for a few days whereas freezing is fatal fullstop.

Robisburning said:
If they haven't germinated put them on top of your hot water cylinder.  Thermal inertia should keep it warm for a few days after the power goes out.  It won't do them any favors but even seedling with true leaves will be ok in the dark for a few days whereas freezing is fatal fullstop.
Hot water heater is a great idea, thanks!  I only have a few with the faintest sign of a leaf coming up, all of those are annuums anyways.  My supers are just starting to pop and I'm worried about those mostly.

I germinated my plants this season on my water heater which is in a cupboard.  Temps were very consistent and germ rates very good as a result. I hope it works well for you.

8 inches already, I still have power.  It's really fine snow and the wind is knocking it off the trees.  We're supposed to get another round of up to 10 inches of really heavy wet snow starting at noon all the way until 9pm.  I just noticed I have some 7 Pots with leaves coming out now too :D

Edit: and a picture, everyone likes pictures.  Another half a day of this.

1888615_485995938173048_665821986_n.jpg

Mallory said:
Good luck, hope you still have power! 18" of snow here in WV with more snow coming tomorrow...
No power loss here but I can't make it to work...I have a half mile long driveway.  It stopped snowing but there's around 15" on the ground right now with more coming from your direction.

Plants will survive weeks with ZERO light and temps into the mid 40's.  I wouldn't worry too much about a few days without light.  Like others have said though, don't let them get too cold.  If they have no light for a few days they will most likely lose their leaves when the lights come back, not a problem.  Peppers are far more resilient than most of us give them credit for.

Back