wanted Looking for my first seeds!

See below for what I'm hoping to find.

Piquin, Charleston hot, jalapeño early, sport, Serrano fire, aribibi gusano, billy goat, Caribbean red, chupetinho, limon

Thanks in advanced for any help!

I'm sure, just wondering if anyone here has them. Wanted to try someone on the forums first. Thanks for the tip! I will go have a look now though.

Pepperhead1989 said:
I'm sure, just wondering if anyone here has them. Wanted to try someone on the forums first. Thanks for the tip! I will go have a look now though.

Thing is in getting them from members here it will probably wind up costing you just as much or more than just ordering them and getting all of the ones you want -- Figure most members are going to at least want you to send a SASE with the return postage (which is only fair as they shouldn't have to pay to give you seeds.

So figure then it becomes a matter of how it's shipped - luckily pepper seeds are fairly small so usually you can get away with just mailing them in an envelope along with a card or something to keep the envelope flat ( if the seeds make the envelope have bumps some post offices will charge extra $0.89 rather than $0.68) - (it's much less economical for things like Giant Pumpkin seeds that need Bubble envelopes that require the $2.45 package rate + $1 or so for the bubble envelope !!) - so figure to be safe you will wind up spending a minimum of $1.57 ($0.68 to get it there and $0.89 to get it back to you with the seeds) + the cost of the 2 envelopes and whatever packets for the seeds to be placed inside (again should include the seed packets so the sender doesn't have to spend the $ providing you with seeds and should include the $0.89 higher postage for a package with unlevel pieces inside (since these can not be machine processed they sometimes charge the higher rate so should include enough in case they do charge the sender this rate). So lets say you're about $2.50 +/- per SASE and you have to find the seeds you want - in your case 10 varieties so it could cost as much as $25 or as little as $2.50 depending on who you find that has the seeds to send you and how many of the 10 varieties they each have.

Now you have to find all of the varieties you want from as few people as you can to keep the cost down -- then get each address and fill out each SASE including a return envelope with postage, etc.

So by the time you do all that and find all 10 varieties that you want you've probably spent more time and effort not to mention just about as much $ as you would to just order them !! 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Unless you are growing indoors, pretty late to start in zone 7a from seed.
Was looking for next season.
JDFan said:
Thing is in getting them from members here it will probably wind up costing you just as much or more than just ordering them and getting all of the ones you want -- Figure most members are going to at least want you to send a SASE with the return postage (which is only fair as they shouldn't have to pay to give you seeds.

So figure then it becomes a matter of how it's shipped - luckily pepper seeds are fairly small so usually you can get away with just mailing them in an envelope along with a card or something to keep the envelope flat ( if the seeds make the envelope have bumps some post offices will charge extra $0.89 rather than $0.68) so figure to be safe you will wind up spending a minimum of $1.57 + the cost of the 2 envelopes and whatever packets for the seeds to be placed inside (again should include the seed packets so the sender doesn't have to spend the $ providing you with seeds and should include the $0.89 higher postage for a package with unlevel pieces inside (since these can not be machine processed they sometimes charge the higher rate so should include enough in case they do charge the sender this rate). So lets say you're about $2.50 +/- per SASE and you have to find the seeds you want - in your case 10 varieties so it could cost as much as $25 or as little as $2.50 depending on who you find that has the seeds to send you and how many of the 10 varieties they each have.

Now you have to find all of the varieties you want from as few people as you can to keep the cost down -- then get each address and fill out each SASE including a return envelope with postage, etc.

So by the time you do all that and find all 10 varieties that you want you've probably spent more time and effort not to mention just about as much $ as you would to just order them !!
Yeas I understand that. Just wanted to get seeds form some fellow pepper heads on here was all. Thanks for your detailed advice though as this is very helpful for future reference.

Pepperhead1989 said:
Was looking for next season.

Yeas I understand that. Just wanted to get seeds form some fellow pepper heads on here was all. Thanks for your detailed advice though as this is very helpful for future reference.

No problem was just letting you know why many will suggest buying from a reputable site rather than finding other members that have 1 or 2 varieties you want ( since also many members do not bother with isolating their plants so can't always ensure they have not crossed (though those can be fun also ) -- It makes a bit more sense later once you have seeds others may want as well since if you are trading with someone you each just pay for the package sent to each other rather than doubling the postage the usps gets.

A lot of new members tend to think it's easier and cheaper to find a member that will send them seeds - but they forget to figure that it costs as much or more to send out multiple SASE's to find specific types as it would to just order from a vendor ( most of them are not in seed sales to make a living and the small amount they charge pretty much just covers their costs )

I do not want to discourage you from making friends or trading with others, as I have traded with people as far away as Germany and Poland and New Zealand. Peter over at Semillas.de has all of them you listed except maybe the sport which you can substitute a Tabasco or similar for it. No kidding I got my seeds from him in less than 7 work days. Very very high germ rate for me anyway. Six varieties $11 shipping $2 so less than $15 converting from euro. Just an option.

Good luck!

chiltepin said:
I do not want to discourage you from making friends or trading with others, as I have traded with people as far away as Germany and Poland and New Zealand. Peter over at Semillas.de has all of them you listed except maybe the sport which you can substitute a Tabasco or similar for it. No kidding I got my seeds from him in less than 7 work days. Very very high germ rate for me anyway. Six varieties $11 shipping $2 so less than $15 converting from euro. Just an option.
Good luck!
Thanks for the tip!

I've got many of my own growing already and will harvest that. A local nursery near me carries tons of bells, habanero, jalapeño, Chinese and many others

Keep an eye out because people will also start selling pods on here. You could buy the pods you want and have plenty of seeds to trade or whatever you want to do with them unless the seller specifically asks you not to share. Any how you might get an accidentally crossed pod and have something new pop up.. Now some people like the idea of strange open pollinated crosses but I personally don't so I isolate my favorite plants. Regardles if you don't want to chance it I'd buy from a vendor or seeds from people that isolate themselves. Also pro tip here: if your gonna get seeds from here make sure the person you get them from has already grown them out. Lol.. Hate to see you get handed some eBay seeds and grow a bell. Good luck whatever route you choose

smileyguy697 said:
Keep an eye out because people will also start selling pods on here. You could buy the pods you want and have plenty of seeds to trade or whatever you want to do with them unless the seller specifically asks you not to share. Any how you might get an accidentally crossed pod and have something new pop up.. Now some people like the idea of strange open pollinated crosses but I personally don't so I isolate my favorite plants. Regardles if you don't want to chance it I'd buy from a vendor or seeds from people that isolate themselves. Also pro tip here: if your gonna get seeds from here make sure the person you get them from has already grown them out. Lol.. Hate to see you get handed some eBay seeds and grow a bell. Good luck whatever route you choose
Yea, don't worry as that was the first thing on my mind haha.

Back