Looking for tips on getting started (equipment, where you get your peppers, good ideas/bad ideas....

BlackBishop said:
I've been collecting hot sauces so long I figured it's about time I give making my own a shot.  I don't even have a blender so literally, all advice is welcome.

Start here.> SalsaLady - Making Hot Sauce 101

FFMZ9PR.gif

:welcome: from the Pacific NorthWest!

Good to see another Portland area
chili head on board!

Welcome!  Your journey may be just begun, but speaking from experience it is a most fun one indeed. This is an excellent community for you to have found.

peppersproutfarm said:
Your going to find most your answers in salsa lady's post linked above. Any ideas on what kind of sauce you would want to make in particular? Welcome from South Louisiana.

i using think bigger than my britches so I was think of starting by cloning some favorites. I typically like Scorpion, Scotch Bonnet, Reaper based sauces but with a focus on flavor not mega-heat.  Right now I'm really high on Bravado's Black Garlic. I've liked everything I've had from Angry Goat an High River has well. 

PaulG said:
:welcome: from the Pacific NorthWest!

Good to see another Portland area
chili head on board!
yes PDX Unite.  If you know any good shots that have a good selection, let me know.  I know where to find my beers but Hot Sauce not so much (I think there's a place on Mississippi?) 

I usually just go for the Secret Aardvark, made right here!

BlackBishop said:
i using think bigger than my britches so I was think of starting by cloning some favorites. I typically like Scorpion, Scotch Bonnet, Reaper based sauces but with a focus on flavor not mega-heat.  Right now I'm really high on Bravado's Black Garlic. I've liked everything I've had from Angry Goat an High River has well.
mimicking successful sauces is definitely a good way to get the hang of what is necessary to even create a good sauce. your first step in this process is to not only figure out what ingredients they use but what type of ingredients or what techniques are used to create the sauces. There's so many different things to choose. just as an example. If a sauce says it has ghost pepper in it. But doesn't say anything else. That ghost pepper could be fresh. It could be dried. It could be fermented. All of these things can affect final sauce outcome. Again welcome. I wish you the best of luck.

Back