• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking My 1st attempt at smoking

Here's my 1st attempt on smoking the peppers...

collection.jpg

the collection:
Green Jalapenos
Goliath Jalapenos
Cross Pollenated Jalapenos (from bad seed supplier, but some grew like serranos and peppins)
Orange Habs (and a few green ones)
Red/Green Bell
and a few green Bhut Jolokia

smoker.jpg

smoker1.jpg

smoker2.jpg

Oh, I forgot to post the results...

the green and goliath jalepenos came out great...

The habaneros and the bhuts came out as I expected, shriveled smal, and dark, but I see a perfect hot chili salt concoction in mind... I'll obliberate those peppers (separately for the different peppers), and then while the peppers are in the grinder, I'll add some Mediterranean sea salt. So it should be pretty interesting. I expected those peppers to get like that from previous readings as they are thin-walled.... but I got a new smoker that I am going to build, and it will cool-smoke them.

One thing that I used with the peppers that I am not going to throw out (and yes Mark aka quadshotz, I'll bring them) are the bamboo skewers that I used to help keep the peppers on the rack. After I took the peppers off of the skewers, I decided to taste 1 of the skewers, and it was loaded with flavor and HEAT! So I will save them for some good shisk-kebabs... it will help flavor the meat/veggies from inside-out. And Mark, I hope that you have a good hibachi, or we'll have to have some hot yaki-tori as appitizers while Ross is making the main-course (which reminds me... I'm gonna figure out this hot-pepper marinade with some Yoshida sauce and to find some nice tenderloin or some prime-cut of meat and to marinate the meat for a few days before I head up to Spokane... Ross is a friend of Mark that we had skates & beer with... That was 1 of the best and hottest dinners that I have ever had, and looking forwards to it again!

Oh, just for the curious eyes... Mark (aka Quadshotz) and I have known each other for about 8 years over the internet through an online game called "Warheads"... Last year, when I heard that 1 of the game players from United Kingdom (Paul aka TippyCelt) came to the states for the wedding for the people who owns this game, and then when I heard that he was on his way to Spokane to meet Mark (Quadshotz), I was on the next bus. I had a real good time with those 2. We were out drinking good beers at different bars and we ate at this restauraunt twice in a few days. Good food, good atmosphere and excellent service. There is 1 bartender there (we'll try to get a video of him doing this act) that makes sure that every molcule in your body feels welcome. He has a strong and deep voice, and he greets everyone by saying in a loud and stong voice "How Ya Dooin"? Their food was exceptional! Anyways, I found out that TippyCelt is coming to the States again as he had such a good time, that after he got home last year, he started saving up some money to come and visit the states again. This time he is going to Florida 1st to meet another game player with several more and going to do a lot of fishing. Then he's going to fly-in to Spokane and this time, instead of taking the torture bus-ride from hell, I'm gonna take the train up there, and we're going to meet again.... I'm looking forwards to good :hell:HOT:hell: food, good beer and good company again. We will make sure that we make a posting of Paul's visit as I know that we will have good fun again...

Gnildir....I've use the Little Chief and Big Chief units for years. Rock solid for smoking anything. Right now I have Mini-Chief I do all my salmon and jerky in.

Yes, please post the pics.

Cheers, TB.

Back