• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My Reapers: Small, without those crazy bumps?

Hi Folks,

I grew a few Carolina Reaper plants from seed that I bought online from an official source, and just moved them into a grow area I've got set up in my garage, where I am going keep them over the winter.

I just cut these peppers off the plant, and they're all pretty small for what I expected them to be. Also, the pictures I see online the peppers have lots of scary-looking bumps throughout the skin. Mine don't really have that. Is there a reason?

The plant has been getting a lot of southern exposure light from being outside during the summer and fall.

IMG_7568.JPG

IMG_7567.JPG

IMG_7566.JPG

What was your seed source?

I could be wrong, but they look like Red Savina to me.

Lots of times a pepper does not grow true to the shape (pheno) that we expect.

I hope they are reapers, but I'm sceptical based on your photos.

Others will surely chime in.

WELCOME TO THP. :welcome:

The source was from:

Whatcom Seed Co
Eugene, OR 97404
www.seedrack.com

I guess I'm not sure if this is "official" or not, but I bought 10 seeds, and all of the plants are producing peppers just like this one. (Although one plant produced yellow pods, but it looked sick from being root bound.)

Those are nothing Primo(reaper) related
Ive grown reaper strain 3 seasons (Currie sourced and grown to F3 from the original)and not a one has ever had that pheno visual
Get some good 7 Pot Primo seeds and leave the reaper lore in the dust

I have nearly a pound of seed from three season isolated,single county grow of 40+ matured plants of said strain
Seed was sourced before the media up roar began
Never once have I had a pod resemble that savina pheno looking pod
Ive had 2 and 3 stinger pods and other assorted weirdness with this STILL IMO unstable strain from Currie sourced seed stock.
Grow LEGIT stabilized strains and you can have all the heat and flavor thats media pressure free
7 POT still rules(notice I didnt say 7 pod?,I refuse to promote a media whore source on name change)
Its 7 POT not 7 pod,just like its Primo and not reaper
chiltepin said:
Sometimes first pods off the plant can look off-pheno, small, under developed in my opinion. A look on Daves Garden shows 55 positive 12 neutral and 44 negative in the feedback history for this company. If you want to grow the Reaper, my reco is to get your seeds from Ed directly at Puckerbutt or someone here on THP.

From Dave's Garden:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/1837/#b

grover said:
I love this website! Thanks everyone.

Hey Grove   :P  Since we live in the same town, let me know what you want to grow next year and I'll hook you up. I have quite an extensive seed collection, And I get a lot of pleasure hooking up friends and neighbors. Give me a PM with a list of what you want and I can meet ya at the Hopmonk if you like?

Cheers and happy holidays, neighbor!

Wow, so awesome! THANKS! I'm having fun with peppers, that's for sure.

hogleg said:

Hey Grove   :P  Since we live in the same town, let me know what you want to grow next year and I'll hook you up. I have quite an extensive seed collection, And I get a lot of pleasure hooking up friends and neighbors. Give me a PM with a list of what you want and I can meet ya at the Hopmonk if you like?

Cheers and happy holidays, neighbor!
Here's what it looks like right now in my garage...

IMG_7569.JPG

(EZ-Cloner and 3 large plants trying to survive the cold weather.)

IMG_7570.JPG

Cloner with Trinidad Scorpion cuttings in it.

The other side of the garage has a grow tent where the Trinidad Scorpion mother plant is currently hanging out, making fresh pods. :-)

IMG_7571.JPG

Maybe this group can help solve something else...

I bought a single "Trinidad Scorpion" plant at the local nursery (Sonoma Gardens), and planted it in a larger pot and it took off. It has producing a ton of really hot, sweet, delicious peppers. (See picture...)

IMG_7483.JPG

I've also been comparing pictures of these peppers to other "trinidad scorpion" peppers on the Internet, and now I am confused.

The label stuck in the pot says just "Trinidad Scorpion."

So, does that mean just that, or is this possibly a "Butch T"? It doesn't look like a Moruga to me.

Are there 3 types of these?

1) Trinidad Scorpion
2) Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
3) Trinidad Moruga Scorpion

??

Those are three different types of peppers. As to what EXACTLY you have there I'm not sure. It is a scorpion though. Often different phenos come and confuse us all. Perhaps others will know better than me.

TNKS said:
I have nearly a pound of seed from three season isolated,single county grow of 40+ matured plants of said strain
Seed was sourced before the media up roar began
Never once have I had a pod resemble that savina pheno looking pod
Ive had 2 and 3 stinger pods and other assorted weirdness with this STILL IMO unstable strain from Currie sourced seed stock.
Grow LEGIT stabilized strains and you can have all the heat and flavor thats media pressure free
7 POT still rules(notice I didnt say 7 pod?,I refuse to promote a media whore source on name change)
Its 7 POT not 7 pod,just like its Primo and not reaper
Don't forget to use the (IMO) after each of your opinionated statements or it looks like you are bent on stirring up trouble. That's twice now.

UPDATE: The Reaper seeds I purchased from Seedrack.com have grown into plants that are producing pods that look more like Carolina Reapers about 20% of the time. The other 80% look like the pictures posted at the top of this thread. What would cause a variety of pod shapes and sizes on the same plant?

Back