• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Need help, never saw this before

So, I had 2 ferments, both equipment were boiled to sterilize. I rinsed the peppers to remove dirt, and I wear gloves. The 2 ferments were doing great, until a few days ago, both were clearing following fermentation. One developed mold/Kahm, the other, the clear liquid turned black… I never saw this, and not sure what happened. Can anyone help me out? I am more interested in the black liquid, than the mold/kahm/.

Thanks in advance, and I was already roasted about the green nipple top, I threw them away already.
IMG_2299.jpeg

I have no idea, but found something called Maillard reaction, which occurs between sugars and amino acids at height temperatures BUT at lower it can still happen but really slowly.

Maybe it stands somewhere on that fridge where temperature is higher than anywhere else.

Last edited:
I don't think slightly above room temperature in a wet acidic medium would result in a Maillard reaction in anything less than a scale of many months, at least.

Sniff test is always valid :)
(note, that doesn't totally guarantee safety but it's a good way to know for sure if it's bad)

Last edited:
Back