• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Nee's 2013 "i am learning from past mistakes" glog!

Hi all!

Sorry it's been so long since posting.....i keep meaning to, but then get sidetracked by something or other...but i thought i'd better start a glog for this year before i become sidetracked again!!
Sorry there's no pics as of yet, but they will follow in the next day or 2!

OK......

I started some seeds off about 6 or 7 weeks ago....but as we have a 2 year old here now i couldn't risk placing the germination tray on the modem as i did last year, so i purchased one of those germination trays that have heating included!
I must admit that i haven't gone too mad with the plants this year, as although it's gone past mid-winter here, i have a feeling that quite a few of my plants from last year are going to make it through the winter here...plus i still have a STACK of pods in the freezer from my 2012 grow! I did plan to use the info from the very informative "guide to over-wintering" thread.....but the reality is that i have just left the plants where they were from the end of summer, and have been quite surprised that a lot of them are still looking quite healthy! Just today i pulled a ripe pod from my Bishops Crown and noticed a few ripe pods on my Yellow Manzano! The most healthy of the plants from 2012 have sat under the shade cloth i put up last year, and maybe that's why they still seem to be looking so healthy as it's kept the frost off them? (we've been down to -2 here numerous times)

So yeah, hopefully when the weather gets better i will repot them in some decent soil and see how they go!!

Anyway, onto my 2013 grow and what i now realize i did wrong last year!!!

Last year i intervened FAR too much....and watered FAR too much....i can see that now!!  (oh, hindsight eh!?)

I started a load of seeds about 7 weeks ago......some in Jiffy Bags.....some in Coir. One thing i have evaluated from doing this is that, although the seeds seem to germinate a LOT faster in the coir....they HATE it when you remove them and put them into potting mix. I will post a photo of my current grow tomorrow, but believe me, there's a HUGE difference in the one's left naturally to grow out of the Jiffy Bag and the early sprouting ones in the coir that i had to 'pull out and transfer'. So for me personally, Jiffy Bags (or Jiffy Pellets) are the only way from here-on!!

Once germinated, i pulled out my flouro lights that i bought last year and have set them up in the dining room again.

Now that i know NOT to be killing them with water, they are going soooooooo damned well!!! Last year i was watering once every other day, as i thought that's what you do with plants, right?? WRONG!!!!!  After i potted them into cups in their Jiffy Bags, i reckon i've probably watered them twice in about 5 weeks, as i now know the signs that they need a drink!!!  We live and learn!!!

I have about 50% that i know what the plants are, and the other half are mystery plants.....as Mezo very kindly sent down a MEGA package for me a month or 2 ago that contained a load of mystery red and yellow superhot seed, as well as a shed load of pods!!! Many thanks Meeez!! 

I will keep you posted on the progress, and will take a pic of the plants tomorrow (promise!)

All the best from down under

Neil

Awesome, Neil.  Very happy to hear your plants from last season are still returning the love.  What varieties are you growing for the upcoming season?

Argh!!  Really sorry for not posting more......

We have had a new arrival in the family during August......      Big welcome to Ollie   :)

1266821_10151825010601815_885810257_o.jpg

Chilli stuff is going well too!!  Quick question though......    bearing in mind that we have had temps down as low as -4 here.......am i safe to assume that the pests of last seasons grow (ie aphids) will have all died now? I haven't seen any as of late, but i am a bit reluctant to put my newbie plants alongside last years survivors as i am not 100% sure that the aphids won't have survived the winter. If anyone can advise, then that would be ace!!

I set up my indoor grow during May of this year.......  Last year i had accurate info on exactly what i was growing, whereas this year i've not been too bothered to list it all! All i know is that everything i'm growing is HOT...and that's all i need to know!

Here's a shot of my seedlings whilst under lights...

1097691_10151768479831815_1981372240_o.jpg

Here is a pic from tonight.......seedlings are now out in the porch, and soon to be outside with the rest of the plants that survived the winter!

1184912_10151825010981815_71734260_n.jpg

Alright Nee! Congrats all around for your most recent harvest and the new seedlings... glad to hear things are going so well out your way. Cheers!

Reactions: nee
Many thanks Stickman!!!  Oh, and for the record, i couldn't get any of my Macedonians to germinate this year, which is bizarre as they were the first to germ last year and there were lots of them!! I guess they are a bit fickle?! lol

And if anyone can answer the question whether last years aphid invasion should have been killed off during -1 / -2 days during the winter, that would be handy!! Like, what temps can they not survive? I had a good look around and can't see any present on my surviving over winter plants, but i just don't want to tempt fate by putting my new plants near them and having major aphid headaches all over again! Many thanks guys :)

nee said:
Many thanks Stickman!!!  Oh, and for the record, i couldn't get any of my Macedonians to germinate this year, which is bizarre as they were the first to germ last year and there were lots of them!! I guess they are a bit fickle?! lol

And if anyone can answer the question whether last years aphid invasion should have been killed off during -1 / -2 days during the winter, that would be handy!! Like, what temps can they not survive? I had a good look around and can't see any present on my surviving over winter plants, but i just don't want to tempt fate by putting my new plants near them and having major aphid headaches all over again! Many thanks guys :)
I don't feel so bad then... I couldn't get any of them to germinate either. Trippa's Douglahs and Fish peppers did great though!

Reactions: nee
Hi all!! Sorry for the delay in posting!!!

Here's a few shots from tonight!

OK, first up....these are the plants that somehow survived the winter here. I planned to properly "over-winter" them, and cut them back etc...but truth be told, i did absolutely nothing! (oops!) Out of the 60 or so plants from last year, these are the survivors. From memory there's a few 7 pots, Pimenta De Neyde, Bhut Jolokia, Orange Hab etc. I was hoping that my Macedonian was going to make it, as the chillies from that plant were really good for everyday cooking, but that one didn't make it. We'll see how these winter survivors go, as they are alive, but not looking too productive right now!

1402395_10152003985486815_522570317_o.jpg

Another surprise survivor of the winter was this Manzano Red that i planted in the front garden and just left it! It's looking really healthy, and i hope to get a fair amount from this plant this season as i only got 2 or 3 pods from this last year. The other 3 plants i planted here didn't make it unfortunately. One that i wish did was my 7 Pot Madballz, as the heat from these were amazing for those 'drinking game' type scenario's...lol

1410828_10152003985456815_381788902_o.jpg

Here's what i've grown from seed this year. There's about 25 on the go, and a few that i can remember are 7 Pot Brown, Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise, Bhut Jolokia Assam, 7 Pot Red x Yellow, Bhut Jolokia x 7 Pot, Olho De Peixe, and a load of unknown superhots from a mystery bag of seeds that Mezo sent down :D

1463937_10152003985426815_1173414917_n.jpg

We had a 30 degree day here today, so some look a bit wilted, but after watering this evening they'll bounce back......

1401288_10152003985781815_676367054_o.jpg

I've had my first pods coming through...this one from a Bhut Jolokia

1400390_10152003985806815_589274670_o.jpg

Thanks for stopping by :)  I will post more pics when things start moving along....

Back