• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New grower , How am I doing?

Hello,

I am new to growing peppers. I have 3 cayenne right now that are just over a month old.
They have been two feet under a 400 watt metal halide for the last week, previously under fluorescent lighting.
using roots 707 soil mix.

Overall I am pretty happy so far.

I think I may have been overwatering a bit before transplanting them into the 7 gallon smart pots.
Two days ago I treated them to some calmag and don't water anymore unless they are bone dry.

My curiousity is that one of the plants is a nice dark green with fairly flat leaves while the other two are a bit on the pale side.
They all receive the same treatment and I rotate them under the lights daily.

Any input or comments greatly appreciated!

2012-02-12_10-42-00_190.jpg

2012-02-12_10-40-41_486.jpg

2012-02-12_10-40-35_476.jpg

Even within a variety there is variation of plant characteristics, so unless
they start to look sick, I'd just keep an eye on them.

They look great…keep up the good work!!

+1

Thanks guys. I'm glad I found this place. Hopefully it will help prevent me from making some of the more common mistakes. :D

Looking good! Welcome aboard !Hey how do you like the Roots Organic 707 I've heard a lot about it.

Thanks Spanky, So far I like it. It is designed for decent water retention so I have to be careful not to overwater. Not a lot of nutrients in it so you supposedly have more flexibility with adding nutrients. I wanted to use Promix BX but couldn't find any locally.

look good my friend. I am also using 707 in my 4inch pots, about 100 plants right now. They seam to love it, lots of perlite, good drainage and air. keep up the good work

Back