• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New here, thought id ask a question

Ill be honest, im not that great with hot stuff, but that brings me to my question. is there a way to "train" yourself? or do people who like Hot stuff,.....just have what it takes?

:welcome:

Always liked hot here, but you can definitely build your tolerance. Basically if you enjoy heat, just keep eating hot, and you tolerance will build.

Hello and welcome from Australia

Yes you can build up a tolerance to the heat but if you arn't used to heat you will need to start slow....

OR just jump right in and eat a whole fresh Bhut Jolokia...Then you will eat habeneros for breakfast....

The first time i tried a piece of dried Naga i thought the world was ending! Had a piece the size of a small pea and the endorphin was forthcoming, then the naga gut.

Just start out eating small pieces of peppers then upgrade to bigger pieces of hotter peppers, then you will be on the road to taming them all.

Muahahahahaha :onfire:

I find that eating peppers on almost everything will build up
your tolerance, start mild and keep getting hotter you'll be surprised
at what you can eat after awhile!

ButchT

hey mike, or is it mikel, i never had spicy food growing up...then, i bacame a gardener later in life and really liked pepper plants i saw people growing, and so started growing a few.....and if i'm going to grow it, i'm gunna eat it.and i'm going to reach down, pick it off the plant, eat that sucker, and see what its like....hot?...hot with taste?...whatever..... now i can handle most, and always remember, when you add peppers to salsas or other foods, they are not as hot as a fresh picked, so you can slowly add heat to your diet.....good luck with it, they sure are good for you----enjoy---bob

texas bob said:
hey mike, or is it mikel, i never had spicy food growing up...then, i bacame a gardener later in life and really liked pepper plants i saw people growing, and so started growing a few.....and if i'm going to grow it, i'm gunna eat it.and i'm going to reach down, pick it off the plant, eat that sucker, and see what its like....hot?...hot with taste?...whatever..... now i can handle most, and always remember, when you add peppers to salsas or other foods, they are not as hot as a fresh picked, so you can slowly add heat to your diet.....good luck with it, they sure are good for you----enjoy---bob
So, your saying like, Habanero sauces for instance, arent as hot as an actual pepper?, i see..

Novacastrian said:
Had a piece the size of a small pea and the endorphin was forthcoming, then the naga gut.

Muahahahahaha :onfire:

You got naga gut from a piece that small? I think i can handle the heat from the chin up but if it gets in my throat i don't know what I'd do except start flippin out and start grabbin xanax. I have a REALLY bad stomach and it always hurts, instead of building a tolerance to that pain i just get really sensitive. It's cheating if you don't swallow, but I don't wanna feel that!

Mikel said:
So, your saying like, Habanero sauces for instance, arent as hot as an actual pepper?, i see..

Depends. Lotta sauces use extract to up the heat without using expensive peppers. Oleresin capiscum, pepper extract, etc.

If there's only a tiny bit of chiles in the sauce..or if they are from dried...probably not as hot as fresh.

Now, there ARE sauces that use silly amounts of real fresh chiles that are every bit as hot as the real thing.

Ask yer local Aussie....right Nova? ;)

Back