• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Non Vinegar Based Sauces

My favorite sauce is El Yucateco. It has a ton of Hab flavor and a good heat level for daily use, and I lone that it is not vinegar based.. I looked for a copycat/clone recipe but found none. Can you guys help me find some good sauce recipes that fit this category?

I wasn't poo pooing it, I was curious as to who spent the time to try to recreate it. I am always into clone recipes and how people arrive at them. The wheatgrass is brilliant. Does it affect the taste much?

I have no idea! He is the guinea pig in this one :). I'm thinking it may add a grassy taste that he will have to counter with something else, or just use less of and water. Hope he likes experimenting.

My favorite sauce is El Yucateco. It has a ton of Hab flavor and a good heat level for daily use, and I lone that it is not vinegar based.. I looked for a copycat/clone recipe but found none. Can you guys help me find some good sauce recipes that fit this category?

This may have been said already, but El Yucateco (all of them!) is one of my favs, and it is indeed a vinegar-based sauce. That snappy flavor that balances the heat, sweet and salt? Yep - vinegar.

They have a Green that's out of this world, and i really like their Chipotle (for a chipotle anyway...they all kinda taste alike to me - except for Howling Dog's Chipotle - now that's something special!!)

ETA: D'oh - I shoulda known with 2 pages someone would have already told him this, and in more specific terms than me too.

From here on out I'mma read through every topic before responding to make sure I'm not the neighborhood broken record/echo.

The Hot Pepper said:
15 green habaneros, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp achiote powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup wheatgrass juice (for color and liquid)
1 cup distilled white vinegar

In a sauce pan over medium heat combine all ingredients sans vinegar and cook down until a medium-thick consistency. Let cool and transfer the mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth. Add the vinegar as the processor is running. Serve or safely can.
So I finally made this hot sauce. I think it's funny that this thread ended in 2011 with no one even trying the recipe! So here I am all signed up with a review. 

First off, the recipe is delicious. Really bright flavors. When I compared it to the green yucateco, the yucateco paled in comparison. Mind you my jar is almost empty and I should (and will) buy a new jar to compare it. From what I tasted today, the above recipe produced a wonderfully flavored hot sauce with a similar heat profile to the  green yucateco, but it left my green sauce tasting artificial compared to the bright, fresh flavors of my what I made today. 

The flavor is comparable to the Caribbean Yucateco, but with more heat. The color was also about same as the Caribbean too, thus all of you afraid of wheatgrass can go without and dump in a ton of green food coloring if you want it to be an exact copy.

Thanks THP aka Pookie for the recipe. 

Wait a minute?!?!???  Dan from Brooklyn makes the sauce for the first time, Pookie (aka Dan) Likes it...... :think:  Hmmmmmmmm.....

OK, I'll roll with it. :lol:

:welcome: to THP, DanBlack! 

The recipe looks like it could be made with green jalapenos or green serranos or other green chiles. 

Thanks for sharing. 
SL

Ha, I guess that is a bit suspicious. :silenced:  
Thanks for the welcome SL. Really stoked to have brought this thread back to life. 

Pookie, I'm jarring ~100 bottles of this recipe for my wedding reception. I can send you out a bottle if you want. Any suggestions on Xanthan ratios?
I am Keeping the wheat grass in it as it seems to give it some earthy qualities which adds a bit to the complexity IMHO. Also I don't want to mess with the recipe too much as it was perfect just the way it is.

Thanks again everyone! 

-Pablo- said:
And Tabasco gets a bad wrap because it's more translucent and not as thick in consistency as most, but honestly it doesn't use as much vinegar as you'd think. The strong acid flavor you taste in Tabasco is mostly lactic acid from the fermentation, but yes, it does use vinegar as well.
Let's see how much vinegar is in Tabasco.  Tabasco peppers range from 20k-30k shu.  Tabasco sauce is 5k shu.  If the peppers were 30k then we can extrapolate that Tabasco is 1 part Tabasco pepper and 5 parts vinegar.

Oh yeah, it's mostly vinegar for sure. It's mash + vinegar, and they have vats where machines slowly stir the mash and vinegar for one month, after the three year age. So yeah. Being as thin as it is with no evidence of mash... vinegary! :)

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh yeah, it's mostly vinegar for sure. It's mash + vinegar, and they have vats where machines slowly stir the mash and vinegar for one month, after the three year age. So yeah. Being as thin as it is with no evidence of mash... vinegary! :)
Although I think that 1 month stirring is the key which keeps the mash suspended in the vinegar.  I've been trying to think of a way of doing that with some of my semi vinegar sauces which is usually around a quart.

Back