Noob ChileHead from Plano, Texas

Hey Ya'll

I just discovered this site yesterday, and found a lot of great information. I am trying to learn how to make my own hot sauce and I never realized there is so much you need to know. I first was exposed to heat while stationed in the Panama Canal, I lived off base and had a Colombian maid who introduced me to heat in her cooking. And to this day I love it and always got to have it. I ran across a mess of old growth Chile Tepins growing wild by a river on some land I bought so I transplanted a bunch of them into pots and they have been alive and perrenial for about ten years. Some of them crossed with some Jalapenos and now look like mini Jalapenos but 100 times hotter. I would like to experiment with recipes, spices, ingredients and learn how to make a nice hot sauce with this pepper.

Thanx

:welcome: from the Middle of the Gulf. ahhh "the zone", lotsa hot stuff to be had, not quite as hot as JOTC/Green Hell in July though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

and you will get plenty of sauce ideas here.......along with every thing else;) :cool: ,
Have a good one-
Dave

Hey, SD, :welcome: from the Pacific NW!

Welcome aboard! I am sure you'll find everything you're looking for here...and probably some stuff you're not looking for as well!

Shane

:hell: :welcome: from the Tarheel state !
I am a new member and have found this a remarkable gathering of people.
They are generous with their advice as well as their friendship,
'Dis is 'da place' for chiliheads ! :hell:

Welcome from a little west of you. Try this...take half a dozen roma tomatoes, and 3-5 cloves of garlic. Roast them on high broil in the oven on the top rack. Blacken as much as possible. On a lower rack, place the fresh tepins...and roll them around a bit every time you turn the maters. The garlic will finish first, toss it in a blender. When the maters finish backening the skins, toss in blender. throw a handfull of dried chile de arbol on the tepins right before you take them out...30 seconds will do. Toss all that in a blender, add some sea salt, onion powder, black pepper, and thin with a spash of water. If it's too potent, you can add a can of Rotel to the blende...you want to belnd it very well...chunks don't work in this recipe.

Let it chill uncovered overnight...then right before you serve it, pour some in a bowl, and add a little fresh onion and cilantro to just what you put on the table.

You can sub in dried pequins or tepins from the store, but only roast for 30 seconds or less...dried chiles burn up fast...a little burning on the dried stuff is want you want...but not too much.

Do it.

Oh...if you ever want to come out west a little with a pound or two of fresh chiles...let me know. I can show you a little magic.

Back