• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Noob experimentations in Hydro/Aero

After watching some of the very helpful posts and videos on this site, I wanted to post my recent baby-steps into a new project

I just did something recently as an experiment and so far it is working well, I fixed me up a DWC/Aeroponic 5 gallon bucket setup with a 5-6 inch net pot built into the lid, I took a Grodan rockwool block and presoaked it in water for 30 minutes and well I had some Chile X Tepins I started in Orchid soil inside back around Xmas, I got me bucket of lukewarm tap water that I aerated with a small aquarium bubble stone for a while to drop the Chlorine down. I gently dug up a plug around and below the in soil plant, shook it a little to get the big chunks off and then gently swished it around in the bucket until most of the soil was off the roots, there were a few chunks of bark stuck on roots and I picked a few of those out but if it seemed on some it would damage the root I would leave it, a lil dirt don't hurt :} I then took what they call a Grodan rockwool cube that had an 1.5 x 1.5 hole in one side and I took and shredded a little off the sides and pulled it off and kept it separate. Then I took the transplant and just kind of run the roots around the bottom of the hole so the stalk was centered, while holding the stalk in center I took the shredded rock wool and placed it over the roots completely covering them and gently packing a little enough so the transplant was centered and standing on it's own. I then took a Dixie cup of freshly mixed nutrient solution and soaked the general area of roots and rockwool. I placed the RockWool plug and plant in center of NetPot and covered on all sides with pre-rinsed Hydroton. For the first 48-72 hours I would lift the bucket lid and take a dixie cup of nutrient solution and pour it over the general vicinity of the roots every 4-6 hours. I am using the three part GH series nutrients but I mixed it light for the seedling recipe. I am keeping the bubbling nutrient level about a half inch above the bottom of the netpot for now till roots find their way out of medium.

And so far it has been 5 days and I have had absolutely! (knock on wood) no signs of leaf drop, shock, or anything, I am quite impressed so far with my little noob ghetto bucket hydro/aero experiment.

Here is my plant that I transplanted to Hydro/Aero Bucket about a week ago..Let me know if I am doing something wrong?

IMG_0093.JPG

I got the above rig from Texas Hydroponics in Deep Ellum for about 21 bucks, which is a good deal, but then I decided to put to good use some of my old Folgers coffee containers I seen on another post on this site.

I basically cut the top right around the edge to fit a 5.5 inch netpot and drilled a 1/4 inch hole in edge of remaining top and attached a blue bubble stone and filled it with nutrients and it works good so far and is perhaps eco-friendly, recycling right? I got to cut down on caffiene :}

IMG_0091.JPG

and

IMG_0092.JPG

I can tell this is going to be addictive ? :} hehe

Thanx for all the ideas THP!

Be well

Back