• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

nutrients Nutrients

Hello gardening friends, I'm new on the forums and would like to know what would be a good water soluable nutrient that is readily available at walmart or home depot to give my pepper seedlings.
Thanks for any feedback!

Charles

Thank you for the replies. I will go get some tomorrow. Also do I need this bone meal, or blood meal I keep hearing about?

chillilover said:
I like miracle gro ultra bloom 15-30-15 and I use it at 1/2 strength.

my personal magic formula!!.... been using it since like forever.......

and like you said.... i usually start the seedlings off with 1/4 to 1/2 strength before going full strength...... and every 7 days they get an application......

For seedlings I start with 1/4 strength then move up to 1/2 strenght regular miracle gro. Then at about 6 inches tall the get the real deal full strength every few weeks. 24-8-16 (High Nitrogen for foliage growth)
Then when the plant is big enough and ready to start producing i switch the MG tomato fertilizer which is 18-18-21. Which will provide a more balanced diet.
Then when my plants get older and I dont feel like fertilizing every two weeks I use a balanced form of slow released pellet ferts.
I also mix in bone meal with my potting mix when I transplant, 1/2 table spoon for 1 gallon pots and 3 table spoons for final 7 gallon pots.

Yeah, I'd suggest blood meal early on then switch to bone meal when the plants are flowering. MG tomato is good as well, or if you're looking for something pretty even and low you can find Scotts 10-10-10 fertilizer at your local home depot etc. I'd go with less then recommended specially for seedlings though. All 3 listed are not water soluble, but can sprinkled on top and watered in (just as easy IMO).

you have young plants.... what they need right now is phosforus and a little magnesium...so they can grow and develop the root system and stem... so a formula(high phosforus) 15-30-15 is what they need... you can apply it for the first weeks untill you transplant them...you can move to a foliage grow formula(high nitrogen) for 2 weeks like a 24-8-16 or 26-6-14 with micronutrients ... after the first batch of flower and fruit start appearring moved to more balance flowering/fruit formula like 21-6-23 + micronutrients for at least 2 weeks , when fruit setting starts heavely move to a production formula like 14-4-40 + micronutrients...after you settled with the production formula is good to give at least one application a month of flowering formula 21-6-23 and 3 of production...don't forget micronutrients...is very important for pepper...
hope it helps...

Back