• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

nutritional value

Because of the capsaicin! Which has been proven to have MANY health benefits.

Capsaicin has been investigated for treating everything from cancer to hypertension. There are no studies that I'm aware of that have resulted in any statistically significant health benefits. A cup of tea has antioxidants and provides a similar stimuli.

I love capsaicin, but it's no miracle drug. Not yet, anyway.

I ask myself the same damn question. http://www.sauceauth...y-or-unhealthy/

Nice article. I especially like the comparison to ranch dressing as a condiment. Even if hot sauce doesn't burn calories, it is a great substitute for condiments that add a ton of calories/fat to a dish.

I don't necessarily eat spice for the health benefits. It is all about flavor. If there are health benefits involved... great! As I have said a few times recently, I don't think there is anything magical about hot peppers, but I am sure there are some healthy attributes. I would caution people not to put too much faith in them for an all in one health supplement though. ;)

I ask myself the same damn question. http://www.sauceauth...y-or-unhealthy/

Thank you for sharing the link. I did hear that chilies have the most vitamin C amongst any other fruit. I'm not sure if that's enough vitamin C your body needs each day (as per the amount of chilies you consume per day) to raise the immune system. But it does make people a little active for a moment which triggers the body to raise its metabolism above average.

Cap will also cause a increase in circulation, speed up digestion, and will make you sweat more, which will aid
in the elimination of waste and toxins. It also, if consumed regularly, will cause a increase in metabolism which in
turn will help with weight loss, increase your energy, and also aid in the elimination of waste and toxins quicker.
The added fiber and vitamins don't hurt either. I always thought the bitter taste that accompanies some
superhots is caused by excessive citric acid in the pod!

Capsaicin has been investigated for treating everything from cancer to hypertension. There are no studies that I'm aware of that have resulted in any statistically significant health benefits. A cup of tea has antioxidants and provides a similar stimuli.

I love capsaicin, but it's no miracle drug. Not yet, anyway.

Actually there have been quite a few studies that show many health benefits. Here's a little info I had found a while back:

"A study published in Cancer Research found that capsaicin caused cancer cells to commit suicide. The substance caused almost 80 percent of prostate cancer cells to die in mice, and prostate tumors treated with capsaicin were about one-fifth the size of those in untreated mice.
"Capsaicin inhibits the growth of human prostate cancer cells in petri dishes and mice," says lead researcher Dr. H. Phillip Koeffler, director of hematology and oncology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and a professor of medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Further, researchers say capsaicin pills may one day be used to prevent the return of prostate cancer."

Back